Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Source of Inspiration?? New Basses??

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by rickreyn, Oct 14, 2002.

1. rickreyn

rickreyn

Jun 16, 2000
    Lutz, Florida
    I have recently acquired a couple of new basses, one of which is a fretless, that have spurred the development of new techniques and skills. While it is difficult to teach an old dog new tricks, these acquisitions have inspired my growth as a bass player.

How are you all inspired to reach new heights? New basses, or other bassists, band members, etc.?

2. All of the above. A new bass always brings out something different in my playing. Even if it doesn't play so hot or the neck is too wide, It might slow me down enough so as I only play what is needed. New band members always inspire me is one way or another. Sometimes it is a lesson on WHAT NOT TO PLAY. Other bassists have always inspired me to look for new sounds or licks etc.

3. bikeplate

bikeplate Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY
    Hi!

I'll listen to a type of music I normally would never spend time with. Then I'll try to pick it apart if the bass line is interesting. It could be big band, acid jazz, a commercial, country, rock, whatever. You need to explore all the time or you'll get bored with yourself

Rob

4. BlindSide

BlindSide

Oct 11, 2002
    Wausau, WI
    I very seldom find inspiration from a new instrument, though it has happened.

Lately I’m finding that most of my inspiration is coming from double bass players. I had switched to flatwounds (well, actually the black nylon tapewound LaBellas) and I found my “voice” as it were, as a bass player. Though I don’t play the kinds of songs one would associate with double bass, I’m finding that my playing is much more “in the pocket” since I’ve been watching these double bass cats. Actually I’m feeling as though if I were to get another bass, it would be a double bass as I played one for a few years…many, many moons ago. I just love the feeling and sound.

So, though I play electric, I find inspiration in the tones of the double bass. I think studying anything outside the realm of what you normally listen to can be very inspiring. Perhaps a new bass gives you a different sound and that is where you feel the inspiration.

5. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Walking out the door of my home.

6. As Bikeplate mentioned, I'll try to figure out music I don't usually play. This forces the old brain to start working again and not just send messages to the fingers by rote.

I've also started trying to play Blues guitar, and while I'm not that good, I'm not that bad. I realize I'm doing this because I want to expand my musical knowledge. Going back and forth between guitar and bass inspires me because it makes me appreciate each one of them that much more.

New instruments can dazzle, but, don't inspire me.

Mike J.

7. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    New music, lots of it, and the bass. I hot rodded my Ibanez w/ EMGs, and it lit me up like a christmas tree. As soon as I get the Barts in my Kingston fixed, I'm sure they'll make me smile too.

8. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

New gear does inspire me sometimes, but not always.

New music is what inspires me most. Whether it is a cover or praise & worship song I have never played before, or a new song that my guitarist has written, whenever I play a song for the first time, that is when I get most inspired.

9. Buying new basses only inspires me to keep my job!

Since I don't have nearly enough time to practice as much as I would like, I am inspired by striving to play as musical and error-free as possible and continually keeping songs I've played before fresh. I enjoy learning Jaco licks and really would like have more "funkiness", but the reality of time pressures remind me that I have to make a choice - develop new skills that I will seldom use or get better at the things I need to do often. I get inspired by finding the deep pocket and locking in...

Jeff

10. LowEndRider

LowEndRider Guest

Mar 4, 2002
    Australia
    Since I bought a hand-made 5 string (the luthier doesn't even use a band saw) I've found myself more laid back and concentrating on the overall groove than in trying to impress anyone (myself included).
    Even in the Jazz-fusion stuff I'm more reserved than ever - do Bass Players mellow??!??!?

A special instrument can change old habits.

11. BlindSide

BlindSide

Oct 11, 2002
    Wausau, WI
    Yeah I think they do...at least I've mellowed.

With age I've gotten to the point where my only concern is to find that groove with my drummer and lay down that foundation for the rest of the band.

Seems the older I get, the less flashy I've become. I'm finding that less is more and it's so much more appealing to me. I'd rather play one single note that is tight with the drummer than play all over and lose that groove.

Now that I'm older I know I really have nothing to prove to anybody, so I'm quite content being the low end "thunder" (as my drummer puts it).

We're very much in sync and we've got that "Double Trouble" thing happening and it's quite rewarding.

While I bought my bass off the shelf, it feels more like it was custom made for me. So, yeah I guess a bass could be inspiring. It certainly has made play differently and it's helped me to find my true "voice" as a bass player.