Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Sources for 7+ String Pickups

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Geoff St. Germaine, Mar 14, 2005.

1. Hi,
    Does anyone know a good place to get these pickups? The current 7 string I'm just finishing has a set of Barts, but these took a long time to come in and I'm wondering if there are other manufacturers who offer wide enough pickups for use on these types of basses. I tried searching here but I didn't really find anything useful.

Thanks.

2. chucko58

chucko58

Jan 17, 2002
    Silicon Valley, CA, USA
    I paid for all my gear myself. Well, me and MasterCard.
    I'd be surprised if you were able to find anyone who stocks pickups for 7+ string instruments.

People I'd try if I were building such a beast: Nordstrand (AFAIK he can make just about anything you can specify), Aero, maybe Bill Lawrence (it'll be great if he says yes, but he might say no).

You might be better off making them yourself if you're really in a hurry. There's nothing terribly hi-tech about winding wire around a magnet.

3. elros

elros

Apr 24, 2004
    Norway
    Proprietor, Helland Musikk Teknologi
  4. No, I'm really considering winding my own right now. I'm doing graduate studies and I'm building magnetic probes as part of my thesis anyway... so all the necessary wire and winding machines/supplies are readily available... I'm just not too keen on prototyping coils myself and I'm not exactly sure of the resistance/inductance specs that are needed for bass pickups... perhaps I can find those somewhere on the net though.

Thanks.

5. Hey thanks... I'm going to shoot them an email.

Cheers!

6. chucko58

chucko58

Jan 17, 2002
    Silicon Valley, CA, USA
    I paid for all my gear myself. Well, me and MasterCard.
    As a ballpark figure, a typical "J" style single-coil pickup is about 3-4 Henry with a series resistance in the neighborhood of 6-10K ohm. What I don't know is the strength of the magnetic field. But even some of the big names use off-the-shelf pre-magnetized Alnico V rods, so I'm guessing it's not terribly critical.

If you want to do graduate studies in applied electromagnetics, spend a day at Bill Lawrence's shop... I did, and my head was swimming when I left! The man really knows his stuff.

7. I am already doing just that! I would like to visit such a shop though... I find it all very interesting. I am friends with Sheldon Dingwall, so perhaps he'll be able to offer a few pointers.

Cheers.

8. FBB Custom

FBB Custom TalkBass Pro Commercial User

Jan 26, 2002
    Maryland
    Owner: FBB Bass Works
    Does Sheldon not have a 7 string pickup?

I would think that if you were in a hurry, you'd not want to wind them yourself. I imagine you'd end up trial-and-erroring a few sets before you wound one you like. But if that's your field, then I'd say go for it. Maybe you'll wind the next great pickup. There's a book called "Animal Magnetism for Musicians" or something like that you may want to look up.

Carey will probably do a 7-string. He has a new forum here on TB. Aero will do them, I believe. If you do a tight enough spacing you could probably get Bart G6's to work, although you would want the G67. The G6 is one of the more common casings and might be quicker to get.

9. LM Bass

LM Bass

Jul 19, 2002
    Vancouver, BC
    Larry at Aero will make 7-string pickups.
    He has quite a few options available, and really knows his stuff.
    I ordered a pair of type 2 pickups that worked out really well.
    Laurence

10. elros

elros

Apr 24, 2004
    Norway
    Villex will probably also make a 7-string pickup for you, seeing that he's done the pickup for that Adler 12-string.

11. pilotjones

pilotjones Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2001
    US-NY-NYC
    Seymour Duncan resistances, and resonant peak info (although I'm guessing that the Q point info is assuming a certain connected circuit?):

http://www.seymourduncan.com/website/tonechart.shtml

12. Carey can definitely make a great 7+ string pickup. The Fat Stacks on the NX7 sound incredible. A very pure and natural tone.

You wouldn't be disappointed with them.

13. I got a quote from Bassculture and it's not far off what I would have thought. I'll send Carey an email and see if he would make a set... I'm looking for a set of 8 strings right now.

Thanks a lot guys.

Cheers,

14. elros

elros

Apr 24, 2004
    Norway
    Yes, BassCulture has quite resonable prices, IME. And he's quick, too: Mine were finished about three weeks after I wired the money.
    And they sound excellent!