1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

sources for conductive shielding paint

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by greenboy, Mar 27, 2006.

1. greenboy

greenboy

Dec 18, 2000
    remote mountain cabin Montana
    greenboy designs: fEARful, bassic, dually, crazy88 etc
    Hi all,

Does anybody have a cheaper source for conductive shielding paint than Stewart-McDonald?

2. seamonkey

seamonkey

Aug 6, 2004
    Next time I need some I'm going to try and mix up my own.
    Home depot has graphite power, and usually some cheap small cans of paint (ugly colors that people returned). I figured it might take a couple of trials, but mixing the two should seem like it should work. An ohm meter would tell.

3. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    Bump... good question.

:)

4. MAGUS®

MAGUS®

Dec 23, 2004
    OXFORDSHIRE - UK
    Why not self adhesive copper tape as an alternative ? Its more readily available, really cheap, does a great job too, and is far less messy.

projectcavity.

5. DavePlaysBass

DavePlaysBass

Mar 31, 2004
    CO
    Over time copper tape can lose its adhesion and then things can get shorted out.

Dave

6. I'd be just as worried about shielding paint flaking off and causing shorts in the wiring. It is also easier to reshield a bass that was done with copper if it needed it.

Not to be a jerk, but have you ever heard of copper tape shorting out a bass? It seems like you would have to really try to make that happen. The jobs I have done with it the copper held its shape and the adhesive wasn't really asked to do a whole lot.

I use both copper tape and stewmac shielding paint and they both have their place, IMO.

7. MAGUS®

MAGUS®

Dec 23, 2004
    OXFORDSHIRE - UK
    Amen

8. greenboy

greenboy

Dec 18, 2000
    I've used foil in a number of instruments. The good stuff even has conductive adhesive so that you don't need to do soldering. But this time around paint will be the ticket. It's not messy if you know what you are doing. The type Stew-Mac sell is incredibly easy to work with.

9. greenboy

greenboy

Dec 18, 2000
    Hey, guys, if you think PENS will work I have to guess that you've never shielded an instrument ; }

But thanks for looking! : }

So far the type of pain Stew-Mac sells is not available anywhere I've been able to find for any better price {shipping for a single item really takes the fun out of it;} and the alternatives are not doing so hot either. So I'll just bite the buillet. Maybe I can sell the 80% that will be left over after the job to one of the local luthiers - none of whom had any.

Thanks all!

10. Yeah, I'll have to admit the "pen" was a stretch! Just trying to help.

:D

11. greenboy

greenboy

Dec 18, 2000
    Appreciated, man!

12. MAGUS®

MAGUS®

Dec 23, 2004
    OXFORDSHIRE - UK
    Well either will do the job, and as long as your happy with the outcome - it will be a good job done :)

13. greenboy

greenboy

Dec 18, 2000
    If it weren't for the circumstances I'd be using mostly or all foil. But this is a cavity that was already done in the same type of paint, then extended, and then a couple other small cavities/tunnels had to be added to do a GK-3B directly onto the body with no cable exposed or stuffed into the bridge between the barrels and back. It would be hell with foil alone.

14. I've used the Stewmac Shielding paint on a number of instruments, and it's very good.

I hear ya about the price though. Here in Australia I can't find a single source for such a product. To order from Stewmac ends up being nearly $60 AUD for 1/2 pint.

Well worth it though...it's enough to shield quite a few instruments and does a great job.

I've ordered lots of gear from Stewmac previously, and must say that their service is always fantastic.

Last week I ordered some pups from them, and only a few hours later remembered I'd been meaning to order some more shielding paint. I sent them another order asking if I could combine them both to save shipping (usually around $13+ US international shipping for each order).

They replied very quickly saying that my first order had already shipped! Wow that was quick, but they were happy to ship the paint to Australia for me for only $3 US via airmail to help me save on shipping.

Great service as always from Stewmac, and I'll continue to be a customer.

:hyper:

15. DavePlaysBass

DavePlaysBass

Mar 31, 2004
    CO
    Conductive paint really is not all that conductive. I spent five yours doing EMC (Electromagnetic Compatability) for a living. As far as copper tape shorting out a bass, I had the discussion with a bass tech about it. And it does happen. If you know how to solder well and get all the seams soldered together that may help.

Dave