1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Sourcing 5 String Bass Neck

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by BassAndReeds, Nov 21, 2018.

1. BassAndReeds

BassAndReeds SUSPENDED

Oct 7, 2016
    Short story: Where’s the best place to find a 5 string bass neck? Must be able to accommodate 18-19mm spacing, preferably 19mm.

Long Story: I’m not finding a bass I like in my price range, and I like creating things, so I’m thinking of building a bass. The plan is to find a decent aftermarket bass neck, used hardware & pickup, and rout the body myself from whatever wood I find. I feel confident in doing most of the project, except I can’t find a good source for the neck. Anyone have any success in purchasing an aftermarket 5 string bass neck that can accommodate 18-19mm string spacing?

(If this is the wrong forum location, sorry)

bound'n'blocked likes this.
  2. BassAndReeds likes this.
  3. BassAndReeds

BassAndReeds SUSPENDED

Oct 7, 2016
    Thanks. $300 is completely fine. I figure $300-$350 is my budget max. But don’t really know my options or what’s available.

Would prefer a better neck than a cheaper neck.

4. Go to their neck builder on the page I linked. It's over to the side on the right. You can pick some different things there fir it.

BnB

BassAndReeds likes this.
  5. BassAndReeds

BassAndReeds SUSPENDED

Oct 7, 2016
    Great help. Thanks.

I’m building this bass to backup my PB5 (P/J), which I think is a fantastic bass. So this is a great answer.

6. Well, there you go then! When Kiesel went to the wide neck as standard on most all if their five string basses, the pretty much stopped being an option for me. I really like their stuff, except for that feature. I have .B50 kit I built years ago that I've barely played due to the wide neck. Sounds great, neck's too wide. I'd love to move it for something I'd play.

BnB