1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Sourcing Wood for Sounpost

Discussion in 'Setup & Repair [DB]' started by VegasGutPlucker, May 20, 2011.

1. VegasGutPlucker

VegasGutPlucker

Oct 14, 2008
    Chicago
    I now have access to a great lathe and am running through all the thing I could possibly make on it. I've already made a few endpins from different woods, now I'm looking into making my own soundposts. They may or may not be any different from one I could just buy, but as this group of DIY'ers might understand, the idea of making my own appeals to me greatly.
    So my question boils down to, what kinds of woods and where to get it?
    Alaskan Reclaimed Sitka? German Spruce? Nordic Spruce?
    Any and all commentary would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,
    Justin

2. 360guy

360guy Supporting Member

Apr 28, 2006
    Lansing, MI USA
    I have a local piano shop that is nice enough to give me the soundboards from grand pianos they are restoring. I use the soundboard material (old spruce) for bass top repairs and cleats. Just recently I have been making sound posts from the bracing material. It is large enough to work with and t.the wood is very old spruce. The fact that it is salvaged from a former musical instrument is a plus as well.

3. maybe consider turning hatpeg sets. the blanks can be used to refurb. existing tired pegs. lots more room there for creativity than turning out sound post. ;)

4. VegasGutPlucker

VegasGutPlucker

Oct 14, 2008
    Chicago
    I've been told the older the wood, the better. How do I track down some old pianos. Hmm..