Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

South Carolina Residents ONLY Please

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by keltik, Nov 10, 2004.

1. keltik

keltik

Aug 17, 2004
    NC
    Here's the deal: I just got a good job and moved to a small town in south carolina (where the work is) but now i'm gassing for a new amp and i can't find a guitar store of any kind within 100 miles.....if there are any long time palmetto residents out there please advise me on where to go......i'm in chesterfield county btw. :confused:

thanks,

keltik

2. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    You might want to check out Reliable Music in Charlotte. I haven't been there in years, but it used to have all the high-end instruments like Alembics. I know it's about 41/2 - 6 hour drive, but there's always Atlanta.

3. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    I'm not from South Carolina! Tra-la-la!

4. keltik

keltik

Aug 17, 2004
    NC
    i did say please and the internets is free.....i thought you woulda make some wise crack about being surprised that south carolina had the internets.....i guess i was also hoping for the name of some cool pawn shop or bootique(sp) in columbia or florence etc.

5. sb69coupe

sb69coupe

Aug 9, 2004
    Raleigh NC
    Sims Music in Columbia stocks a pretty good selection of gear. www.simsmusic.com

Shannon

6. Hames Music in Gaffney, right under the giant peach butt...

[​IMG]

7. +1

8. keltik

keltik

Aug 17, 2004
    NC
    is there any way to edit the title of this thread.....i realize the error therein and would like to atone......and yes anyone with any knowledge of the palmetto state is welcome :)

9. DaveAceofBass

DaveAceofBass Supporting Member

Feb 20, 2004
    Charlotte, NC
    Hey Dude,
    My name is Dave, and I work at Sam Ash in Charlotte. We stock Hartke, SWR, and GK. There is also some Peavey stuff at the store. As an authorized Aguilar dealer, we can special order any Aggie stuff you want, I'm in good with those guys (they're my favorite). The newest news (don't tell the Ash's) is that I might be soon going into business with the best luthier in town. He is opening a shop, and will be doing some acoustic guitar stuff, and I might be doing basses (90% chance after the New Year) and amps. I'm not naming any companies until it's all official, and there is plans to have a website too. But I will say that I have talked to some great companies and I'm sure they'll all be onboard. The southeast doesn't have a high end store and it's about time it did. Also, Charlotte is a convenient central location. As for the other guy's reply, Reliable Music has gone out of business a few years ago. At Sam Ash I do Ken Smiths and Foderas if you want to get one (custom orders, we usually have one Ken Smith in stock, but currently we're waiting for a new one), and Fender, Rickenbacker, Ibanez, and Tune basses, to name a few. I have my ways of getting other goodies like Demeter, Hughes & Kettner, etc..... So come see me. 704-522-9253 Ask for Dave in Guitars.

10. Davehenning

Davehenning

Aug 9, 2001
    Los Angeles
    Try this as well:

Greenville Guitars,
    Greenville, NC, USA, 252-321-3999

Not sure if they are even still around, but I bought a nice P-Bass off of them a few years ago.

But your best bet is as previously mentioned, the SamAsh in Charlotte.

Good luck!

11. keltik

keltik

Aug 17, 2004
    NC
    i grew up in Raleigh NC.....the main reason i'm looking for shops in SC is b/c SC sales tax is considerably lower......all you guys in NC know what I mean about our sales tax......but i'll probably hit the old north state if all else fails......thank you all

12. DaveAceofBass

DaveAceofBass Supporting Member

Feb 20, 2004
    Charlotte, NC
    Don't know anything about Greenville Guitars, but I know where Greenville is, and that's pretty far away. I'm not sure about Palmetto, but Charlotte has to be close, we're 90 miles from Columbia, and a mere 3 hours to Myrtle Beach.

13. Davehenning

Davehenning

Aug 9, 2001
    Los Angeles

Sorry. My geography sometimes gets the better of me. :p

14. Silaxian

Silaxian

Dec 16, 2002
    Charlotte, NC
    Reliable Music went out of business in 2002, I think. Sam Ash has always treated me well.

:bassist: