1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

South Jersey/Philly Area Original Indie Rock Band

Discussion in 'Wanted: Bass Players' started by WhtMtnGrv, Feb 21, 2018.

1. WhtMtnGrv

WhtMtnGrv Supporting Member

Nov 1, 2015
    NJ
    Good Afternoon Fellow Low Enders!

I am posting this ad to potentially find either a temporary or permanent replacement for myself in my original (unpaid) indie/emo rock band based in southern NJ. I've had an opportunity to relocate to the west coast drop in my lap and I'm moving to CA in the next two months or so. I'd like to do my part as much as I can to prevent my departure from impacting their progress and goals over the next several months, so here I am.

About the Band:
    The band is a four piece- two guitars, myself, and a drummer; one guitarist does vocals, however the drummer will likely be doing backups in the near future since his voice is pretty fantastic. All of us are in our very upper twenties or thirty, have no sort of drug/alcohol issues, work full time jobs, live on our own, and are males if that is a consideration for you. We currently rehearse in Haddon Heights or Blackwood NJ once a week, and recently have been playing 1-3 shows per month since we started playing shows in October 2017. We have a three song demo that was already recorded/pressed, our first batch of shirts (with a second on the horizon) and stickers, and both the material and plans to record a longer EP (6 songs) in the near future. This band is for fun primarily, so it's not a paid/business gig. Any money we have earned from shows we have put into a band fund which is democratically handled for merch, recording, rehearsal, etc.

Regarding the new EP to be recorded: I do not know what their preference will be (having me record the EP, or having the new bass player do it) so your involvement in the EP is something that will need to be ironed-out among all of us. I don't have a dog in the fight personally, but I want to be as transparent as I can in this listing so that you know fully what situation into which you'd be walking. You would have at least some input into the decision; if for example you really wanted to get on the recording and you demonstrated the ability to pick up the material in time, I'm sure there wouldn't be a problem.

We take the band seriously enough to want to sound tight and be legitimate and professional in our dealings with bands/venues/booking, but we have no illusions of grandeur regarding "making it". We basically have our collective ish together in music and in life, and enjoy playing music for the music and sharing it with others... ideally others who like sweet music and like to buy cool merch so that the band can subsidize itself as much as possible! Labels are not of primary concern (if at all), however an effective PR company is something we've been recently discussing. So we are a DIY operation in its relative infancy, and the response we have gotten is pretty positive. Everyone is dedicated to the progress and maturation of the band but we carefully balance that with our personal and work lives.

We do not have an official band leader so decisions are made with everyone's input (however the vocalist does most of the social media since he genuinely enjoys it and is pretty good at it), and we are all very flexible. We are currently tuned to Drop C# (we were in drop D to start, but our vocalist's range is on the lower end so we tuned down a bit to reduce strain on his voice). Our vocalist keeps his guitars tuned to Drop D and uses a drop pedal to knock the whole thing down a half step- so your choice on that front. You could even bang a fiver and just transpose the music in standard tuning.

If you are interested and want to check out the material so you can determine if you like what you see, the link to our BandCamp is below:

Ghost Friends

Just an FYI: I am willing to do videos of me playing the songs so that you have a complete reference for learning the songs if things move forward. They aren't anything mind-blowing (bass parts anyway), so I think that simply a competent and mature musician will be able to handle the material and the band pleasantly. If you are more technically proficient in your writing, I can tell you the change would be welcomed :laugh:

I think that about covers it. Feel free to reach out to me directly here, or on the band’s Facebook if you have any questions or would like additional information.

Thanks so much for your time, and I hope to hear from you soon!

Best,
    Grv

Last edited: Feb 25, 2018
    Bob Clayton likes this.
  2. WhtMtnGrv

Nov 1, 2015
    NJ
    Bump!

3. Bob Clayton

Bob Clayton Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2001
    Philly Suburbs
    I liked the 3 song ep. Don't know if I could fit another project in though.

4. WhtMtnGrv

Nov 1, 2015
    NJ
    Thanks for the kind words!

5. WhtMtnGrv

Nov 1, 2015
    NJ
    Bump!

6. WhtMtnGrv

Nov 1, 2015
    NJ
    Bump! I'll be heading out west the week after easter, so only a month to go!