Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

South Park and Comedy Central give in???

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Bad Brains, Dec 31, 2005.

1. Bad Brains

Bad Brains Banned

Jan 7, 2004
    Detroit, michigan
    I hate this crap. Haven't any of these people ever heard of the concept of free speech? They can preach their bullcrap onto us, but as soon as someone mocks it they are forced to pull it off the air? Yikes.

Episode gets pulled

2. Lame. I thought it was a pretty funny episode

(This coming from a Christian, btw)

3. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    this is probably too much for off topic on at least two fronts, but I do agree that it's silly.

4. FireBug

FireBug

Sep 18, 2005
    Houston
    Pure bullcrap. Everyone knows South Park pushes limits in all kinds of directions. The Catholic League is just ticked off they themselves are bleeding from you know where. Ah, Matt and Trey really know how to push their buttons don't they? I hope to see this episode on DVD. If it doesn't make it to the DVD cut then someone at Comedy Central is bound to release it on a p2p network where I will download it.

Don't worry, the episode will make its way out. Watch.

5. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    I saw it the first time. Oddly enough I thought AA would be more PO'd than the CL.

6. AxtoOx

AxtoOx

Nov 12, 2005
    Duncan, Okla.
    AA won't comment on anything.
    Blissheads right this is on thin ice unless it's moved to the Lobby.

7. kserg

kserg

Feb 20, 2004
    London, UK
    That truelly sucks... now on to downloading the eppisode online...

Edit: downloading at 490kb/sec :D this is faster then watching it on tv if you include all the wait durring commercials..

Edit: oh yeah... done:) time took: 6minz

8. kserg

kserg

Feb 20, 2004
    London, UK
    Hmmmm it was acctually a very good episode... with a very good message in the end...

9. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    That's what south park does... they shock/offend... then have a great moral at the end. It's very strange.

A horrible portrayal of the virgin mary... aparently, the episode portrayed her as a woman who "bleeds from her vagina." Wow... that is messed up. :eyebrow:

10. kserg

kserg

Feb 20, 2004
    London, UK
    It was from her pooper at first though...

11. Bad Brains

Bad Brains Banned

Jan 7, 2004
    Detroit, michigan
    As much as the show has gone downhill, the episode was hilarious. Definitly one of the best. Those religious nuts just don't have a sense of humor. "Blah blah blah that offends me".

If Comedy Central apoligizes then shame on them. South Park should make an episodes mocking their protest just to get them even more angry.

12. If they think THAT was bad, they should have said something about the Christian Rock Band episode. And I would suppose some bassists on this forum would have something to say about it as well(in NO way do I mean to be racist).

13. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    I couldn't care less about anything on TV....

but just think of all the extra DVD sales to get the 'forbidden episode'

Great marketing!

14. Don't_Fret

Don't_Fret Justin Schornstein

Dec 10, 2003
    East Coast, US
    Strong words over a TV show.

15. fenderx55

fenderx55

Jan 15, 2005
    NYC/Queens
    i thought that was a great episode... even if i were to ignore the relevance it had to my life that week. But I'm a weird kind of a la carte catholic... frankly, i'm extremely centrist (if that makes sense) and they were right and wrong (mostly...nay--absolutely right) but the catholic people who assume their rights to w/e it is they feel that's being threatened by this episode is, hey, let them complain... people that far to the right (or left) of any issue freak me out.

16. kserg

kserg

Feb 20, 2004
    London, UK
    True... but it always starts somewhere... :)

17. MikeBass

MikeBass Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2003
    Ferndale MI.
    Artist: Xotic Basses/AccuGroove

I'm sure they have. But it does not apply to them as they don't have to put on what they do not like.
    The concept of free speach only applies when it's a public forum, not a private cable network.
    Now if that South Park was episode was just made public and the CL stopped it, then your statement has legs.

Check this:
    If you worked for me, and I laid out the guidelines in what your allowed to say at my place of buisness, and you disregarded my guidlines, buh by!!! Your gone and your argument of free speech means nothing. Except to you.
    But, if you leave work and say your mind and I hear about it, and then I fire you (because maybe it doesn't follow my rules or what ever) then sue the snot out of me and buy yourself an island to relax on.

BTW, I disagree that they pulled it as well.

18. FireBug

FireBug

Sep 18, 2005
    Houston
    What I meant to say is that the CL is more whiny over the episode than anyone else. Matt and Trey know this and mock them openly for the second time. Besides, what are they supposed to do? Run every episode by the CL and hope for a stamp of approval? No. The CL is too full of itself. There is no reason they should have enough say in what is on television that an episode should be pulled. If it flies with the FCC, then people need to deal with it. If the CL doesn't like it then they don't have to watch it. That's all there is to it.

19. kserg

kserg

Feb 20, 2004
    London, UK

The way i see it is, South Park did not do anything wrong or at least nothing against South Park - comedy central contract.

With your job description I see it somewhat different. So lets say I work for you and I am doing my job right. Then some nut job walks in and starts to scream at me because he doesn’t like me wearing Pantera t-shirt because Pantera is evil. Are you going to fire me because some crazy person is running around the store and screaming (or incase of what comedy central did tell me that I can’t wear Pantera t-shirts and publicly say that I am a very bad person), or are you going to protect me from the crazy person?

I think as a human being Joseph Califano had a duty to protect South Park from this. Tell you the truth I don’t like Catholic League but if Catholic League was on receiving end of a story for no reason I would back Catholic League up even though I don’t like them. So if I was Hosting Company of Catholic League and I got email that someone was offended that Catholic League on their site said that “Catholic religion is the only true religion” (this was just an example). I think that some people might be offended by this but I won’t tell them to take it down because it’s their right to say that as long as it does not violate United State laws (or where ever location of this is taken place).

In the end, reason why comedy central should have protected South Park is because if someone can come in the store and tell you what they think a employee should not be wearing pretty soon your employee will be working naked.

PS:
    It’s very nice when organization that is titles "Catholic League for religious and Civil rights" asks someone to ban something because they don’t like it. In their statement about South Park they say this:

“Already, we are being deluged with hate mail that is as obscene as it is viciously anti-Catholic. All because we exercised our First Amendment right to request that Comedy Central not offend Catholics again! But we’re used to such things and will not be deterred.”

Catholic League: all I have to say to you is “calm down Francies”.

Cheers

20. kserg

kserg

Feb 20, 2004
    London, UK
    What i find even funnier is they just made South Park money. This was just like a free promotion. Good job Catholic League.