Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

South Park - still funny, or tryin too hard.

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Joe Nerve, Dec 22, 2005.

1. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    Just curious what others are thinking these days. I'm a pretty big South Park fan. I think people are waaay too uptight about things these days, and I always felt they kind of level things out a bit. A modern day Don Rickles of sorts. Funny though, after they hit home bastardizing something that was important to me, all of a sudden it wasn't all that funny... hmmm... my taste buds began to slowly change.

Watched the Santa in Iraq episode yesterday, and while I laughed, I'm really starting to get the feeling that these guys sit around all day thinking "what is the most absurd offensive thing we can possibly get away with on tv." Jesus "packin" and blowing away Iraqis, virgin mary statues bleeding out their buttholes, it's funny - but come on, I don't know. The religion stuff didn't bug me cuz i've got my gripes with catholicism - the AA episode did though, cuz AA has saved many people's lives that I know and love. Made me see it all from an entirely different angle.

That's right! I can dish it out, but I can't take it!

Shortly after Eric Clapton's son died, a local NYC band named themselves Clapton's Flying Baby. I think I'm starting to find southpark about as funny as I found that.

What do you guys think.

2. baba

baba Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2002
    3rd stone from the sun
    I think people take themselves and the world too seriously and need to be tweaked occasionally. I think South Park nicely balances out the other extreme end of the spectrum. PC has gone overboard and any counterweight is welcome by me at this point.

And yes, I still think it's funny. You could ask if Zappa was trying to hard too, but I say no.

3. Hollow Man

Hollow Man Supporting Member

Apr 28, 2003
    Springfield, VA
    I see your point Joe, and I've often thought the same thing. I think the South Park folks really are sittin' around, thinking of ways to top themselves in the Outrageous Department, rather than come up with strong, cohesive shows. I still think they can be pretty funny (in the handful of shows I catch every season), and they often have interesting points about society, but they definitely seem to have opted for the can-you-believe-what-they-just-did route.

4. SteveC

SteveC Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    It still thing it's funny, most of the time. Sometimes they go a little far, but they are just trying to see what they can get away with. I guess that's one wy to go. I prefer when they are funny, get right up to the line, but then don't cross it.

Cartman singing "Oh Holy Night" is still one of my favorites.

5. Juneau

Juneau

Jul 15, 2004
    Dallas, TX.
    Ya I much prefer the well thought out ones, to the over the top ones. Sometimes its a mix. I think the LOTR episode was greatness. Hit all the right little nerves, but didnt go out of its way to really push the envelope, and its funnier than serveral of the ones that do.

I like all their little character inuendos as much as anything else, like the one black kid being named Token (as in token black person on the show), and Timmy and Jimmy are awesome. They should stick to the slightly less obvious stuff I think. I mean come on, Scientology is begging to be made fun of. Pick a topic thats not as easy to pick on, those are often more creative and funnier anyhow.

6. d8g3jdh

d8g3jdh Guest

Aug 9, 2005
    i think it peaked at season 8, 9 is not as good. theyre running out of ideas, good thing theyre ending soon

Dont even get me started on the new family guy episodes, god...

7. Brad Barker

Brad Barker Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca
    i think matt and trey are funny but just don't hold up to repeat viewings.

for example, team america: world police...

me during first viewing: :D
    me during second viewing: :meh:

shock value can only go so far!

and, grug, where'd ya hear that the series is ending? :confused:

8. While some of their newer stuff is trying a bit hard, there's gold in every episode. Some of their best stuff aired last season, awesome stuff. I loved the PSP/Kenny Dying episode!

9. canopener

canopener

Sep 15, 2003
    Isle of Lucy
    I think South Park is actually funnier now than before. Shows like the Simpsons, Family Guy, and most shows on the Cartoon Network are the ones that can't seem to pull it off (anymore).

Sure, some of there stuff is out there, but they do have a point, and I think it's funnier than ever.

10. Funny or Trying to hard? I think your referring to The Simpons more than South Park.

IMO, of course.

11. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I kinda think they are trying too hard :( I used to wathc it like 3 years ago.Im a family guy fan now.

12. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    It's a little too gross sometimes, but I still enjoy it quite a bit. It definitely has its charm- Butters and Cartman are two of the most charming characters on TV.

13. KSDbass

KSDbass

Mar 25, 2005
    atlanta
    the best was definitly when cartman thinks he turns invisible/they poke butter's eye out with the ninja star. or maybe "boy with balls on chin"

14. Brad Barker

Brad Barker Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca

i loved the psychic episode.

"tcchhh-tchhh-tchhh!" "naa-naa-naa!" :D

15. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I think Trey Parker and Matt Stone are about out of ideas. For everything. Team America sucked out loud. However, they do occasionally hit one out of the park. The Scientology episode of South Park was about as funny as anything they've ever done. But I pretty much gave up on them to be consistently funny after the first season, when it became clear to me that they were only good at lampooning current issues and couldn't do a regular non-topical episode to save their lives.

But I can't say they ever offend me. It's a little hard to get offended by construction paper.

16. canopener

canopener

Sep 15, 2003
    Isle of Lucy
    Eh. I guess you guys will be diggin the next '40 year old virgin' then, huh?

17. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
  18. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    Shockingly, I never found it all that funny.

Although the Douche vs. Turd Sandwhich election episode is bomb diggity tizzite.

19. The old episodes were MUCH funnier. There's no shock value anymore. Like when they first started out, I cracked up every episode cause it was actually a suprise to see a cartoon 8-year-old calling a 3-year-old a dildo. Now, it's getting old and it just isn't funny anymore.
    I used to have to try to stop laughing, now I can watch any episode and not laugh at all, like I'd have to try to laugh. It's just not funny anymore.

20. McHack

McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    South Park.... Still Funny...