Southampton Fifth Gear and Way Huge Pork Loin... together?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by mikesmallrules, Apr 23, 2020.

1. mikesmallrules

mikesmallrules

Jun 21, 2018
    Toronto
    Anybody else doing this? I'm about to try.

Just wondering where others have already found success, sweet spots, etc.

Thanks!!

DirtyDuke likes this.
  2. 600 Ohms

600 Ohms Supporting Member

Jan 4, 2012
    I have a FG and a Pork & Pickle arrived recently, which should count. I will check out the combo and report back.

3. Mosfed

Mosfed

Apr 21, 2013
    Washington DC
    Partner - CCP Pedals
    Why not? I find I prefer the FG stacked with other pedals. It adds that extra little bit of umpf

4. 600 Ohms

Jan 4, 2012
    Well, first of all you would have to put the Fifth Gear FIRST, as it is highly susceptible to buffers at its input. FG behind a buffer becomes mushy and all that clipping joy is simply lost.

Putting the P&P after the FG, I found that there was nothing particularly nice about what the P&P did to the FG's incoming sound unless you open up the Clean Blend. I only really was enjoying the stack in fuzz mode, with the clean on full and even then, it was really gonzo.

I think the two pedals would make an amazing parallel set, however!

5. mikesmallrules

mikesmallrules

Jun 21, 2018
    Toronto
    I hadn't considered the potential effect(s) of a buffer. I have a Boss TU-3 at the beginning of my pedal chain... Now I'm wondering if I ought to go back to a true-bypass tuner.

As you've probably deduced, this is a subject I know very little about. I'd love to hear your thoughts if you're willing to share.

Thanks!

6. 600 Ohms

Jan 4, 2012
    Well, if you've never tried it, take the tuner out of the line and listen to your FG with only your bass going into it. If you hear a difference you'll know. You may find it's different (and if so, 100% better!)

I'd pay good money if Southampton could build me a buffer-proof one, cause it limits the position of it on the board. FG sounds best with my passives, and it still sounds pretty good on my active, but not quite as good. Oddly the active doesn't KILL the FG the way a pedal buffer does.

7. mikesmallrules

mikesmallrules

Jun 21, 2018
    Toronto
    Thanks! You sent me down a rabbit hole...

My current chain:

Boss TU3 --> ISP Decimator II --> 5th Gear --> Pork Loin --> W&C Box of War --> SansAmp BDDI

The TU3 and Decimator are both buffered.

What I'm thinking I should try now is:

5th Gear --> Pork Loin --> Decimator --> Box of War --> TU3 --> SansAmp

8. gh0st42

gh0st42 Supporting Member

Oct 25, 2019
    Colorado
    There are a few companies that make "Passive Pickup Emulators" which are basically a loop to "De-Buffer" any pedals in that loop.

A little hard to track down, but might do the trick.

9. 600 Ohms

Jan 4, 2012
    I bought one two months ago and it didn’t quite nail it. Might’ve been the wrong design, but yeah, I’ve been paying attention.

gh0st42 likes this.
  10. 600 Ohms

Jan 4, 2012
    I think I take back what I said before. FG at gain = 10:30, no heat, gives a little something special into Pork. FG could be an always-on at that 10:30-11 setting.

11. mikesmallrules

mikesmallrules

Jun 21, 2018
    Toronto
    I have yet to try placing my buffered TU-3 after my overdrive pedals (just waiting on a Sansamp VT DI, arriving today[?] before pulling my board apart) but I've been having a lot of fun with this. These two pedals sound so great together. Can't wait for COVID-19 to go away, so I can get back into a live band setting and drown it all out! Haha. Thanks again!

12. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 16, 2021