1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Southeast "scene"...

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Saxn, Feb 25, 2013.

1. Saxn

Saxn

Oct 23, 2010
    Nashville, GA
    Hoping someone in the south Georgia/north Florida area might see this... the situation is getting desperate.

Ok so I have taken up residence in a little town called Nashville, GA within the last year. Since then I have been doing the usual scouting around the bar scene, checking into Craigslist, etc. The results have been pretty well dismal. The VERY closest town of any size whatsoever is about a half hour away, but I am having a hard time finding players there! The ONE venue that regularly plays live music imports seemingly all of their bands from ALABAMA!!

The impression that I am getting is that there is no interest in playing or listening to live music around here unless you travel >2 hours in any given direction. Atlanta, 4 hours away. Jacksonville, FL 3 houyrs away. Tallahassee, FL 3 hours away... could I really have landed in a place as musically DEAD as it seems it is here?!? WHERE is the closest local scene?

2. Texan

Texan 667 Neighbor of the Beast. Supporting Member

Aug 15, 2004
    Houston, TX
    Don't feel bad. I'm in a city with 4 million people and there are very few good people to play with. All that I want to do is Blues and Classic Rock. I'll even do country, but the players here are a joke. The good ones are in bands and the bad are like zombies in a "b" movie, really bad and every where.

Good luck

3. 4dog

4dog

Aug 18, 2012
    Anywhere in texas still has someone to jam with, they might be bad but they are there.

4. Saxn

Saxn

Oct 23, 2010
    Nashville, GA
    LOL congrats, Texan. It's been a while since my sig has been changed.

My experience has been like yours, really. The response to a couple of Craigslist ads that held some glimmer of hope turned out to be mirages in the desert... damn near had to change my phone number after one of them.

I see nobody from the Southeast has seen the thread yet. I figured that might be the case. I was coming here trying to bypass the zombies. Maybe they've all been bitten already and there's noone left in the area!

5. Eublet

Eublet

Jul 28, 2006
    I don't think it's a Southeast thing as much as it is a rural thing. Getting to Savanna, Jacksonville, Gainseville, or Tallahassee is going to be your best bet.

6. SAXN I feel your pain...

I believe you have moved to a culturally dead zone, unless you like rural/swamp areas.

Any V F W, Am, Legions, Lodges in your vicinity? May be your only hope for gigs...My opinion.

Frankly, anything 'Outside Perimiter' of Atlanta is mostly tip-jar gigs. Clubs, bars would rather hire DJ's it seems.

I am in south metro. Although Zack Brown seems to have bought major properties in my vicinity, gigs are few and far between.

Have you tried bandmix.com ? Look in that suite.Type-in yopur zip code. At least you'll find players in your area. Maybe gigs to follow?

Keep us posted.

Also we have a Georgia club on T B.. Little action in tha thread as well..sad.. Georgia is a great place to BE FROM, in general, but not to live in, as a musician, except maybe North Metro Atlanta.

kEEP US POSTED.