Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Southern California Luthiers?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Funkize you, Feb 22, 2005.

1. Funkize you

Funkize you Guest

Nov 4, 2003
    Westminster Ca.
    Hey guys, Do you know of any Luthiers in the Orange County, LA area?

(I know Carey Norstrand has a Shop in Irvine, But I mean like little Mom and Pop type shops)

2. jacochops

jacochops

Jul 2, 2000
    Suzhou, China
    Actually, Carey is nowhere near Irvine...he's in Yucaipa, off of the 10 on the way to Palm Springs.
    If you're looking for someone in that area, call Pete Hanewinckel (spelling?) He builds incredible instruments, so a call might determine if he's available to do any work you'd like done.

3. Funkize you

Funkize you Guest

Nov 4, 2003
    Westminster Ca.
    Ok thanks a lot!

4. River Gambler

River Gambler

Feb 10, 2005
    I live in Moreno Valley, just east of Riverside on the 60 freeway. Tom

5. M.R. Ogle

M.R. Ogle Supporting Member Commercial User

Nov 5, 2004
    Mount Vernon, Illinois
    Backstage Guitar Lab owner
    Steve Soest, Soest Guitars in Orange (Main street by the railroad tracks) and Joel Grant, Grant Guitars who has a shop directly above the Sound Matrix rehersal studios (Sort of across the street from the Fountain Valley Guitar Center, off Condor, I believe). Both of these guys have done great work for me!

6. Funkize you

Funkize you Guest

Nov 4, 2003
    Westminster Ca.
    O wow, thanks for the info! Ill be sure to look into them!

7. Bassic83

Bassic83

Jul 26, 2004
    Texas, USSA
    Kirk Sands in Laguna Beach is awesome. Right on PCH, just north of 133 on the left hand side (towards the beach)...

8. PlayTheBass

PlayTheBass aka Mac Daddy

Dec 7, 2004
    Carmichael, CA
    How about Pat Wilkins? Best paint jobs in the biz, and he puts together some very nice basses, too. An all-around great guy, too. He plays bass, and he understands bass.

www.wilkinsguitars.com

Van Nuys isn't real close to you, I realize, but at least it's good to have another (good) option.