Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Southern California Music store????

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Funkize you, Feb 22, 2005.

1. Funkize you

Funkize you Guest

Nov 4, 2003
    Westminster Ca.
    Hey guys, I look and look but all I can find is a Thousand Sam Ash's and Ten fold GC's...

Any help? Any good music shops around that carry high quality instruments? (Not like Sam ash/GC with a million "Under $300 crap")

In Westminster, Cerittos, Long Beach, Fountain Valley, Huntington Beach, Anaheim, Hollywood, LA...

Mostly Orange/La area.

Thanks a lot!

2. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    "High quality" instruments? What are you looking for exactly? The "Amp Shop" in Sherman Oaks occasionally has some pretty good high end basses, but you have to catch them at the right time (they go quick).

3. The Amp Shop always has some great basses. If you go online and check out bassexchange.com you'll see that they are located in Sherman Oaks in a storefront called The Amp Shop. Their repairperson, Tina, is one of the best in the business. You could also check out Bass Alone in San Diego, I think Tone Merchants has some bass stuff, they're in Orange County.

4. niomosy

niomosy

Nov 9, 2002
    Amp Shop / Bass Exchange (they're the same store) in Sherman Oaks should do well. I was in a week ago and they had a few Fodera's, a Ritter, MTD and a few other good basses.

Guitar Center in Hollywood has had a pretty strong selection for the past month or two (I've been several times). The Mesa shop in Hollywood (right by the GC) has some Laklands and some other stuff worth checking out. The Sam Ash in Hollywood right across from GC has a good handful of G&L's to try out as well as some other decent mid-range basses (they used to have a much better selection before they took over the Manny's that was there). Not sure what's at the other Sam Ash store in Hollywood by the Virgin Mega Store (or did they completely move into the old Manny's?). Haven't been there in a few years since it was the "low-end" stuff.

Another good choice is True Tone Music in Santa Monica. Westwood Music in Westwood has some good stuff sometimes as well but not always.

The great thing about the Hollywood stuff is that they're all right by each other on Sunset Blvd. I usually just park in the Sam Ash parking lot. It's a small lot behind a church across the street from GC. You have to turn down the side street to get to the lot. From there, you can just walk to all the stuff around there. There's a few other used/junk shops around as well that might have something decent but it's pretty rare.

5. Bob Lee (QSC)

Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio! Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    Technical Communications Developer, QSC Audio
    Jim's Music in Irvine is pretty good.

6. Is Leir's music in Orange County still around? They used to have a pretty good selection

(at least to my then 15 year old mind)

7. Bob Lee (QSC)

Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio! Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    Technical Communications Developer, QSC Audio
    I'm not familiar with it. What city is/was it in?

8. Coulda sworn it was just outside of Garden Grove. That's where I lived for a while.

9. Liers Music is closed. Jims in Irvine ir a great store, but they do not have any high-end basses. They do have some MIA and MIJ Fenders, some Music Mans, Ibanez', and Yamahas.

10. Timbo

Timbo

Jun 14, 2004
    Great Song :smug:

Just thought I'd add absolutely nothing helpful. :p

11. srxplayer

srxplayer

May 19, 2004
    Highland, CA
    Rockits in Fullerton or Brea. Can't remember which one.

Located on Imperial Hwy.

Nice selection of Higher end Guitars & Basses.

12. srxplayer

srxplayer

May 19, 2004
    Highland, CA
    Update:

Pulled the business card and It's Rockits in Brea. It's sort of behind the Brea mall off of the 57.

1039 E. Imperial Hwy #F1
    714-674-0640

Nice shop. Have Musicman, American & Mexican Fenders, Rickenbacker and some others.

Nice repair shop too.

13. Funkize you

Funkize you Guest

Nov 4, 2003
    Westminster Ca.
    k, Thanks a lot for all your suggestions!