Southern Fast Food Madness!!!

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by secretdonkey, Dec 2, 2003.

1. secretdonkey

Oct 9, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Okay, let's play a little game. We'll take two different fast food joints that are found exclusively or primarily in the Southern U.S. - Sonic and Dairy Queen. Both have recently rolled out new "edgy" food products that sound kinda weird...

One of them is actually pretty darn tasty, IMO. The other one is just disgusting and totally inexcusable.

Our contestants:

Sonic - offers "Extreme Tots" - tater tots (small, barrel shaped potato cakes, fried) covered with chili, cheese, onions, jalapeno peppers, and ranch dressing.

Dairy Queen - offers a burger or cheeseburger served as a taco, on a soft flour tortilla. Patty is cut in half to fit into the tortilla.

Both sound nasty. You might actually find both to be nasty, but I find one of them to be strangely delicious. I'd like to hear some comments about these items, then I'll reveal the one I actually like... umm, if anyone cares enough to actually reply, that is...

2. NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    dude, i need to get out more often!!

whataburger is like a second home to me!

my guess is that you like the tator tots - the ranch with jalapeno is only something Texans would dare to do (New Mexicans are hip too - they have killer pepers!)
  3. canopener

Sep 15, 2003
    Isle of Lucy
    I wish we had Whataburger and Sonic in the northeast...
  4. NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    the funny thing is that until my little lady pointed it out, i have been calling What-A-Burger - Water Burger for years...

how embarrassing!

we cannot forget - Taco Cabana and Rudy's BBQ
  5. odie

odie Supporting Member

Im guessing it is the first one. The Sonic concoction.
  6. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

It's ALL tastsy at 3:42 a.m.!!!................except for pig ear sandwiches or snoots from the barbeque joint. :spit:

7. secretdonkey

Oct 9, 2002
    Austin, TX
    " Waterburger" is definitely an acceptable pronunciation!

Mmmm... after Thanksgiving dinner with both families, the wife and I bolted when the leftovers got trotted out. Chuy's was packed, so we hit the Rudy's next door.

And Taco Cabana - man, I would truly miss them if I ever leave Texas...

8. Johnalex

Jul 20, 2001
    South Carolina
    I love sonics. I go there at least 3 times a week...after 2 am. They are open all night! and it is cheap. I recommend the Corn Dog, Breakfast Burrito, and of course the No.1 Cheeseburger.
  9. secretdonkey

Oct 9, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Oh man, I just can't do pork spare parts...

...But I can wolf down those Sonic tater tots. Yup, a coupla folks guessed it. Definitely not a dish for the faint of stomach. Chili, onions, jalapeno peppers and fried stuff all in one bite. Sits like a rock, but it's what 'comfort food' oughta be.

The Dairy Queen taco burger is downright criminal, on the other hand. Flour tortillas pretty much need to be fresh made to be edible -- but take the gummiest prefab version you can find, and try to put ketchup, mustard or mayo on it!?! It'll make you hurl, man!
  10. Joe Turski

Joe Turski

Jul 29, 2003
    Never been to a Sonic or a whataburger!
    New England has crappy fast food joints.

Man, I sure could go for a Carls Jr. burger.

I miss Cali! :(
  11. Wadda ya mean Dairy Queen is primarily Southern? I have around 4 that I can think of within a 10 mile radius!! One in Gladstone, on in Oregon City, another off of 82nd Ave and Powell, and one out towards Gresham next to Cruisers.

Great burgers, but their fries are lacking in crunchiness and amount. And I hate the ketchup they use. Yech!!:spit:

Rock on
  12. OnederTone

OnederTone Aguilar Everywhere Gold Supporting Member

Aug 15, 2002
    Thornton, CO
    I hadn't had the pleasure of Rudy's BBQ until last weekend, (i'm from dallas... sorry) and OH MY GOSH that was the best TEXAS BBQ I've ever had... (originally from Memphis... so pulled pork is what I think of when I say BBQ... and rudy's pp was up there with the best pork as well) but what really blew me away was the cream corn. that was just the bomb.

and I'd easily do the sonic extreme tots... there's a local joint called Scotty P's that has "cardiac fries" french fries, Cheddar, Bacon Bits, chives, jalapenos, onions, ranch dressing... mmm mmm good.

but the ultimate south east burger hang out...

DANG I miss those!
  13. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    There's a bunch of Dairy Queens in the Northeast too-there are two in my hometown in Connecticut. What the South has that really shows its culinary superiority is a vast number of Waffle Houses.
  14. NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    i hate waffle house!!!

just as bad as your White Castle burgers... :p :D ;)
  15. Oh NO you didn't!
    Damn, I love White Castle cheeseburgers, can't get enough...the new jalapeno burgers aren't worth it, but the good ol' delightfully greasy and unhealthy and...mmm, I want some now!! :hyper:

I didn't realize Dairy Queen was a southern francise either; there's are TEN of them within a few miles of my parents' house and several in the Yspi-Arbor area. My band's road manager actually owns one of the DQ locations in the eastside suburbs...
  16. A place named *Sonic* sells food? :confused:

Where do you buy stereo equipment, at Burger King? :p

The potatos sound good to me, but I'll pass on that burger - I WANT PASTA, DOG-NABBIT! :D

17. NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    i was just waiting for you to buz in! :D

BTW, I changed my name!
  18. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    Sonics are known for being the first real "chain" fast food places to open in small southern towns. For some reason, they do really well in places you think they would not.
  19. NJL? :confused:

What the heck could that stand for? :p :D

In a recent survey it was revealed that Radio Shack speakers have only half the fat of JBL speakers! :rolleyes:

20. secretdonkey

Oct 9, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Well, maybe I was wrong in proclaiming that Dairy Queen was mainly a southern thing... oops! Sorry!

I bet they don't serve the 'ass tacos' in Michigan - bonus for you!

Hey, NJL - word on the new name!