Southpaw needs help bad...

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Brass Nut, Aug 3, 2013.

1. Beinbg a left hander in a right handed world... years ago lefty handed anything was rare. So I started out playing right handed.

Been away from it for awhile.. and recently found that being 63 y.o. I've time to really enjoy playing again. So this is kind of a "restart" of sorts. Tried my right handed on upside down with out changing strings. (Just being foolish?) Felt really weird and all. Part of the reason is arthritis in my left pinky from time to time.

Anyways,, bridge hand was never really good lacking the dexterity of my writing hand. I'm seriously considering switching to the proper left handed bass.

Has anyone here been through that before?
    Is it worth the effort to re-learn all over again?

(Basically... should I?)

Any input would be greatly appreciated. Greatly appreciated. Thanks. :bag:

2. Hope I posted in the correct thread.

3. Clark Dark

Clark Dark

Mar 3, 2005
    earth
    The only way you're going to enjoy playing again is to make it as effortless and painless as you can. If you go further and want to join a group you don't want to be hampered by aches and pains.

4. billgwx

billgwx

Apr 10, 2009
    Centereach NY
    I started as a musician playing guitar--a lefty borrowing others' righty instruments upside down, which became so frustrating I switched to bass after less than a year. I continued in that vein for 8 or 9 years until I wanted to learn how to slap properly (thumb slapping the low strings and index/middle fingers popping the higher ones), so I bit the bullet, bought a true left handed instrument and never looked back.

Was surprised at how seamless the transition was, but that was mostly due to having pretty good dexterity already. I had tried to play a left handed bass a year into playing, but found it too difficult at the time. Switching eventually allowed me to get back to playing guitar to the extent that I can now play both guitar and bass at a professional level...wish I had done this right from the start!!! So it's definitely worth the effort and I hope you achieve good results...just post here or shoot me a PM if you have any questions.

5. Thank you so VERY much! I'm soooo 50/50.

6. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 14, 2021