Southwest Airlines overhead bins

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Ozzel, Dec 10, 2004.

1. Hi folks. I'm traveling on Southwest this Christmas, and plan on bringing my bass in a gig bag as a carry on. I've already spoken with Southwest flight crews on previous flights as well as read the many informative comments on the subject right here at Everyone seems to agree that if the gig bag fits in the overhead bin, then I won't have a problem. The only question I have is one that hasn't yet been answered, even by Southwest.

How wide are the overhead bins? Does anyone know? Are different bins with different dimensions used for different planes, or are they all the same?

My bass is 35" scale so it's kinda long. It sure would be nice to know beforehand if it'll be too long. If it is, I could always gate check it, but I'm a bit nervous about doing that with just a gig bag for protection.
  2. victobass

Nov 27, 2003
    Southwest uses Boeing 737's and the last time I flew on one of those I was thinking I could have brought my P Bass in a gig bag instead of the Steinberger that I did. The bins are narrow at the back so you would either have to lay the gig bag flat(and hope no one puts anything on top of it) or put a smaller carry-on to the back and stand the gig bag on it's side in front of it being careful when you open the bin after the flight that it doesn't fall out.
    Also, my son the airplane expert says that the newer 737's have larger overhead bins than the older models.
  3. Starrchild

Nov 10, 2000
    The Bay.
    I traveled on Southwest about 1 month ago and just placed it in the overhead bin, so u should't have any problems.