Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Sovtek 100w guitar amp. Good for bass ???

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Kelu, Aug 28, 2005.

1. Kelu

Kelu

Dec 6, 2002
    Lille in France
    Hi I can have a Sovtek 100w (I guess it is a mig series..)
    I think it is a guitar amp, but I think my sound bass will be good. As good as a Hi-Watt or an old Ampeg (I will put ampeg tubes in it..)
    Do you think it can be great ? Or must I research for a Bass specific amp??

2. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    it may not be loud enough for drums and a couple screaming guitars... but if it sounds good, use it!!!! Get yourself a "speaker level" DI or a good mic to send to a PA if you need louder.

3. 8mmOD

8mmOD

Mar 20, 2005
    USA
    I endorse & use Tech 21 pedals, Eminence loaded cabs, EMG pickups, Jim Dunlop picks & Ernie Ball Strings, BC Rich Basses.
    The Mig 100 is nearly identical to a Marshall JCM 800. If you want distortion, you will get it from that amp, but you won't get much volume for a clean tone.

4. Kelu

Kelu

Dec 6, 2002
    Lille in France
    I dont want to have distorsion, I want a big fat tone..
    I will put gain on 2 or 3.. I think it will be enough for little stage, for bigger I use DI anyway..
    I will enter it with a Musicman Sterling (with full bass on active preamp)and a SansAmp Bassdriver DI (just to put more bass) That makes me think 2 or 3 on gain will be enough.

5. 8mmOD

8mmOD

Mar 20, 2005
    USA
    I endorse & use Tech 21 pedals, Eminence loaded cabs, EMG pickups, Jim Dunlop picks & Ernie Ball Strings, BC Rich Basses.
    well you won't know unless you try it, right? I would plug into the low gain input.

6. Matt H

Matt H

Jul 30, 2005
    Ithaca, NY
    i thought it was the mig 50h that was like the jcm800 series? and the 100watter was more of a standard plexi (two parallel inputs, shared stage, CF, tonestack, to power amp)

regardless- these amps make great mod platforms and with a few tweaked values, could make a pretty good bass amp.

7. Kelu

Kelu

Dec 6, 2002
    Lille in France
    I tried today in an old ampeg 100w, (which was the same type of full amp for guitar and bass.. And it was good.) and a Sovtek mig50 which was good, but i had to put gain to 7 8 and it was too much distortion for me..
    That's why I want to test Sovtek Mig100

8. 8mmOD

8mmOD

Mar 20, 2005
    USA

Hmmm, you know you are probably right. Its been a long time since I owned mine! I believe my tech re-wired mine like a JCM 800 and I know he put a Soldano hot mod in it. I think it was stock with 6L6's too & he changed it to EL34's (i used it for guitar). If the stock mig 100 is like a plexi, you probably could have it re-wired to be a "super bass" configuaration. I had that done to my '71 Marshall super lead. try it & see how it sounds.

9. There's no such thing as "ampeg" tubes...The old Ampegs from the early 70's had, IIRC, Magnavox-labelled tubes (duh, since Ampeg was owned by Magnavox) which I think were made by Sylvania. Ampeg never made their own tubes, they were and still are always made by a tube manufacturing company.

The Sovtek head should have Sovtek tubes, which are very good tubes IMHO. Sovtek IS a tube manufacturer.

Now perhaps you mean you're going to stick different tubes in there trying to emulate an Ampeg--like substituting a 6146 for a 6L6--that's asking for big trouble. I can guarantee the circuits are entirely different.

10. Matt H

Matt H

Jul 30, 2005
    Ithaca, NY

since we're playing the correction game...

sovtek isn't a tube manufacturer. it's a brand named owned by mike matthews of New Sensor who imports a bunch of stuff (mostly russian) and distributes/deals it under a variety of different names including Sovtek, EH, now they bought out the rights in american to "Svetlana" out from under the real Svetlana, as well as "Tung Sol" and "Mullard" nowadays. Sovtek is just a name that gets thrown on stuff that other people make, that he buys and then sells in the US under the name he created (or bought, never heard the story on that one! haha)

I have no clue where the "Sovtek" were made- but even if from russia (which i think they were) the company that made them had no affiiliation with the Reflektor, Saratov, St. Petersburg, or any of the other tube factories that are located in Russia.

11. Thanks for the correction, I can't keep up with the branding issues now...Svetlana versus winged C versus EH...

12. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    You really like them huh? I think most of them sound like cardboard when pushed. Though I hear the KT88 isn't bad.

13. Kelu

Kelu

Dec 6, 2002
    Lille in France
    You mean there's no way to use 6L6 ??

14. 8mmOD

8mmOD

Mar 20, 2005
    USA
    i think the mig 100 came stock with 6L6's, but its been a long time since i owned mine. its easy to find out what tubes they are, just look inside the amp :)

15. This thread has me wondering what a bass would sound like through a Rectifier....

....probably like crap, but who knows?

16. No, I meant the other way around--if it comes with 6L6's (which I think it does), substituting completely different tubes like the 6146 wouldn't be feasible, that's all I meant...Some 6L6's claim to have slightly higher output, you may want to experiment in that respect though!!

17. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Rectifier (n):
    A device for changing AC mains to a DC potential.

If you mean the Mesa guitar head... check out some samples of Amy playing her Ric through one http://www.clatter.com :bassist:

18. Matt H

Matt H

Jul 30, 2005
    Ithaca, NY
    yup, or possibly with "Sovtek 5881WXT"'s, which got thrown in everything from fender, to peavey, to... well, everyone.

why? they're nearly indestructable!!!
    why? because they're not really anything like a 5881 (or 6L6 for that matter)

what are they?
    a5881 should have a 23W (i think) plate dissipation rating... a 6L6GC (biggest of the 6l6 propers) has a 30W rating. I know many guitar amp homebrewers have biased Sovtek 5881WXT's at up around 40W with no signs of redplating.

so, it's probably not that they're indestructable- they just are compared to what they're pretending to be. (if that makes sense).

regardless, they're cool tubes, and I actually like how they sound.

Can you put 6550's in this amp?

NOT LIKELY. (yes, that required caps)

the filaments on these tubes draw twice what a 6L6 family tube does.

What does this mean?

Sovtek used transformers barely big enough to power what they were doing.

The stock amp's filament winding was probably rated to around 4.5A. If you pop in a quad of 6550's, that's automatically 7.2A... forgetting about the additional .9A the preamp needs.

(note, kt88's are rated at slightly less filament current, 1.6A a piece versus the 1.8A for 6550's... so for new production "6550"'s that are REALLY a kt88, it's possibly they'll draw less current, but not by much).

Unless you can get the transformer specs from New Sensor (good luck, it's possible? but I don't have much faith in them) and can find out exactly what the filament winding is rated for...

DO NOT USE 6550/KT88/kt90/el34/kt66/EL37 unless you know what this amp's power transformer windings are rated for.

19. The head....I have one in rackmount form.

Which song best represents that sound?

http://www.clatter.com/pages/cd/cd2.html

And what are those other two rigs?

EDIT: And how does she keep from shredding the speakers in the 4x12?

[​IMG]

20. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Clatter is Amy on bass and voice with Joe on drums.... that's it. She runs a full signal into the Mesa and into an SWR rig... she adds a 3rd (the SWR combo) when running effects.

She explains it here http://www.clatter.com/pages/bio/amy/amy3.html

All the tracks rock! I dig "Center Line" and "Black Karma"
    check out the sample from the dvd
    http://www.clatter.com/pages/cd/dvd.html