Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Sovtek bassov

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by shooter_mi, Sep 29, 2005.

1. shooter_mi

shooter_mi

Sep 29, 2005
    Maine
    I'm wondering if the problems I found with a 50 watt Sovtek Bassov tube head are common, or are unique to the unit I tried out yesterday. Basically, tone was fine until I turned it up to about 75%, then it sounded like the amp was overpowering the speaker, really farting it out. It didn't sound like a preamp overdrive. I tried the amp with SWR and Trace Elliot 1x15s, an SWR 2x10 and a carvin 8x10, all rated at 200 watts or more. Cabinets were impedence matched. What experiences have others had with the Sovtek bassov?

2. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Could it have been the power amp running out of juice? That's pretty far to push a 50 Watt 6L6 based power amp (which Iassume this is). I know my '67 bassman with Sovtek 6L6 tubes sounds fantastic up to a certain point, but starts crapping once you push it hard.

3. jvb

jvb

Jul 11, 2005
    Canberra, Australia
    That's exactly what would have been happening. Valve (sorry, tube) output stages will overdrive, and it usually sounds good in small doses, particularly on guitar. The Bassov is only a 50 watt amp and you can't expect a whole lot of balls from it.

4. faceinbass

faceinbass

Apr 20, 2008
    KCMO
    Mine breaks up... I like it.
    Use yours for recording.