1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Sovtek Big Muff -vs- Little Big Muff

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by ph0rk, Jul 19, 2007.

1. ph0rk

ph0rk

Feb 24, 2007
    Has anyone compared these directly? (Yes, I ran a few searches.)

I recently dusted off my sovtek BMP and, well. wow. Why the hell was this in a bag under a shelf? Raar in your face cut-through-the-mix fuzz.

The problem: no power jack. I hate dealing with batteries (thats why we have pedal boards with power).

The little BMP seems to be boss power friendly (9v dc, center neg). How different from the sovtek is this? Has anyone compared them, by any chance?

If they are similar enough, I may jump on a L-BMP, otherwise, I guess its a trip to radio shack and a weird power adapter to plug where the battery goes...

2. TheMutt

TheMutt Guest

Apr 28, 2007
    I am not sure about the tonal differences between the Sovtek BMP and the LBM... I have not yet tried a LBM, but I have toyed with the Sovtek BMP, Double Muff, and Nano Muff. I personally own the USA re-issue which I preferred over the sound of the Sovtek which I found too gritty for my liking, the double muff which wasn't very muff-like at all IMHO, and the nano muff which does not sound like a fuzz to my ears (I've heard and read somewhere that it is an overdrive). There are some people on here and elsewhere who say that the LBM is much like the USA BMP, but purportedly has better low-end retention.

As for powering options, if you didn't know, both the Visual Sound 1-Spot and Godlyke PA9 Power-all have 9-volt battery converter clips if you wanted to go that route. I gave both of the 9-volt converters that I got with my 1-Spot to a guitarist friend of mine to power his ZVex Fuzz Factory (early version) and MXR Script Phase 90, both of which didn't have a power jack.

3. I absolutely love my sovtek big muff pi, and I power it w/ a 1spot power adaptor chain (using a special 9v adaptor) so batteries are no problem. The tone is sex for my ears.

4. andrewd

andrewd

Sep 5, 2003
    I just got a Little Big Muff today (very happy with it BTW).

It's not going to sound anything like the Sovtek version, because the LBM is the same circuitry as the NYC Pi.

5. sonicvi

sonicvi

Jun 10, 2005
    Houston, TX
    They're all the same circuit, just with some differing component values and different transistors.

6. andrewd

andrewd

Sep 5, 2003
    I believe the Nano Muff Overdrive is based on the Muff Fuzz, which had a simpler circuit than the Big Muff (hence the name Big Muff). The Double Muff is two of those.

7. sonicvi

sonicvi

Jun 10, 2005
    Houston, TX

That's correct, but all the Big Muff versions are essentially the same.

8. Crabby

Crabby

Dec 22, 2004
    The Little Big Muff in my opinion is a much better sounding fuzz for bass. It retains the low end like no other. I compared with a USA Bif Muff and there was no comparison. The Little Big Muff sounds like it was designed for bass as there is so much low end.

I love mine for some really creamy smooth but deep deep fuzz!

Damn cheap too. $68 clams Canadian brand new! cant beat that.