1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Sovtek MIG 100B VS Fender bassman Blackface

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bichibreaker, Jan 2, 2012.

1. what would you do in my place??
    This are the prices in my country:

Sovtek MIG 100B Bassov Blues Boy - (u$s930) arg$4000

Fender Bassman Blackface '66 i think -(u$s1650) arg$7000

I know that people in the US will think they are expensive but here in Argentina it isn't cheap to buy this things.

2. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    How loud you need to get? The Sovtek will be the stronger amp. The bassman, classic tone but not very loud on bass.

3. I played with a bandmaster and i belive it was ok. Not too lound...but i go to PA 90% of the time....so maybe the headroom isn't the problem with an efficient 4x10

4. I've had some Sovteks on my workbench. They are pretty crappy inside. Sound fine when they work.

An old Fender is a nice amp if you don't need to be all that loud.

5. Hi.

Haven't tried the guitarists -67, but I suppose it'd sound marginally better and a bit quieter with bass than the MIG.

I had the 100W guitar version as a backup back in the day, and it was well made and reliable.
    Sold it because I needed the cash for something more important ATM (=rent).

I'd buy the Sovtek, and will in a heartbeat if one comes along and I have the cash.

Regards
    Sam

6. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    One of my old guitarist used to have a Sovtek. Pretty ballsy, crunchy rock sound. Sounded good (and damn loud) when you turned it up, not much for pretty cleans though. I have no idea about circuit/reliability though. I'd always take a bassman if my volume needs don't exceed it's ability, which isn't very often and I'm not a real loud player.

7. Tim1

Tim1

Sep 9, 2005
    New Zealand
    I played a Sovtek once, it sounded fine and had enough grunt for the gig. I have owned several Bassmans, love the tone but they have always seemed to run out of headroom for me in a gigging situation - you get the feeling you are pushing them too hard. The best results I had was back in the seventies playing a Bassman 135 into two JBL E140 home made cabinets which were reasonably efficient. If it was me I think I would go for the Sovtek.

8. walls

walls

Dec 14, 2011
    I say watch ebay in the US. E-mail the seller prior to the auctions end to get permission to bid. Buy a silverface bassman 100 or 135, or blackface/silverface showman that's been serviced properly and have it shipped. The cost of shipping will kill you but your options have been multiplied by 100.
    I've been playing a showman lately. You'll appreciate the headroom over the bassman.

9. The Argentinian goberment has limited paypal payment to u$s100:mad:

10. walls

walls

Dec 14, 2011
    That's too bad.

Well, I say get the bassman then.
    However, for that kind of money, I'd find out a couple of things first.
    Tubes and electrolytic caps. Have they been replaced meaning, has it been serviced? Does it have a grounded cord? Original transformers? Are all the original tone caps still there or did someone gut the amp?
    If the amp is in good working order to begin with, it will hold it's value and is an all around better amp.
    You'll still need a fairly efficient cab to get some good volume out of it but, It will be great for a vintage tone.

11. mitril

mitril

Oct 5, 2008
    If you havenĀ“t made your choice yet.... If you dont have the need of shimmering cleans, go for the Sovtek. They are really great with warmth, strength and grit. I have owned Fender and Marshall before. I traded my Marshall JCM800 Super Bass for the Sovtek and I havent regret it. The Sovtek is better in every way. On the backside is that you will not really get the shimmering sound or the Fender, especially not as a silver face....

12. permanent_ice

permanent_ice

Nov 22, 2011
    Moscow, RU
    I love Sovtek mig-100 on bass, but It's hard to find one in a good condition. Beware crappy diy mods done by previous owners, I've seen a pair of such mig-100

13. carbonfold

carbonfold

Oct 13, 2006
    Dallas, Texas
    I'm getting a Sovtek BBB 100B with a old Kustom Tuck'n Roll 2x15 this weekend. I'm somewhat buying it on the shear fact that I rarely have seen one. Anyone have any thoughts on it?

14. Mr. Foxen

Mr. Foxen Commercial User

Jul 24, 2009
    Bristol, UK
    Amp tinkerer at Ampstack
    Sovtek have grown a cult following, or are growing one. They could do with proper pots being fitted, which is a fiddly but not especially technical job.