1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Space Cowboy bass tone???

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by bubinga5, Nov 30, 2006.

1. bubinga5

bubinga5

Jun 6, 2006
    cheltenham(UK)
    Anyone know what bass is played on the album version of Space Cowboy??. Think its Randy 'hope' Taylor. Love that tone.

2. Cutty

Cutty

Jun 25, 2006
    U.K.
    I think it's a Moon Jazz bass.

3. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member In Memoriam

Are we talking about Jamiroquai - then it's definitely Stuart Zender and Warwick Streamer?

4. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Banned

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    I know Zender missed out on the oppertunity to play on either the single or the album version. I'm not a huge Jamiroquai fan so I'm not sure which one he was on!

5. I remember several seemingly interminable threads on the subject but, sadly, I can't remember who played on which version either.:meh: :meh:

I'm sure that judicious use of the Searchy facility would bear fruit though.;) ;)

6. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member In Memoriam

Well I've got the CD of "Return of the Space Cowboy" and it has some nice photos on the liner, including one of Zender holding his Warwick Streamer 5'er - with the caption : Stuart - bass guitar!

7. bubinga5

bubinga5

Jun 6, 2006
    cheltenham(UK)
    Yeah i know, would make sense, but im pretty sure Randy played on the album version. Doesnt sound like a Streamer, IMHO...

8. Bruce Lindfield

Nope - everybody I know and have talked to on here, accepts that Zender played on the first 3 albums apart from one track on the 1st one, which was Andrew Levy!

9. Gents:

From answers.com:

Bassist Stuart Zender does not appear on the album version of the song "Space Cowboy", but does appear on the single version. Zender's explanation of the events which led to his non-appearance on the title track refer to a situation that occurred during the last stages of the album recording. Jay Kay informed Zender that he wanted to record a new version of the title track (the single version had already been recorded and released). However Zender had scheduled some time off to patch up his relationship with model Milla Jovovich. Kay gave his blessing to take the time off, but when Zender returned he found that Kay had recruited a session bassist, known only as "Mr X", to play on the song. Mr X is credited on the liner notes.

FWIW!!:meh: :meh:

10. Bruce Lindfield

Nah I don't buy it - I listened again and the overall tone is very similar to that on "Light Years" and some of the bass fills sound very similar - very much like the same person!

I suppose the "session bassist" may have tried to make it sound similar to what was already on the album - but it sounds apocryphal to me...?

11. floopy

floopy

Mar 18, 2006
    Bruce, back on the thread discussing Stefano's excellent youtube video, there was a direct quote from SZ himself on the subject:

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showpost.php?p=2663535&postcount=58

12. is, space cowboy (stoned again), the single version?

is that the one Mr.X played on?

13. Wasim

Wasim

Dec 10, 2004
    Stoned Again is the single (with Zender), not the one on the album (Mr X played on the album version)

14. Thurisarz

Thurisarz

Aug 20, 2004
    Sweden
  15. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Banned

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    Thats where I was getting my info from, thanks for the link! I know JK did what he had to do by getting a session guy in (though he could have planned things better), but I'm with Stu on this one. Very much a kick to a downed man!

16. funny thing. i like the album version better.

also, up above someone said that Randy Hope-Taylor played on When You Gonna Learn, it was in fact Andrew Levy. Randy Hope-Taylor played on the latest album "Dynamite".

17. Bruce Lindfield

Nope - I think you need to read again - I said it was Andrew Levy!!

18. Thurisarz

Thurisarz

Aug 20, 2004
    Sweden
    But to bring the question back, what did the bassplayer use on the album version? Sounds abit like a Jazz or maybe Stingray to me?

19. Bruce Lindfield

Sounds the same tone as "Light Years" to me! :p

20. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta (Grant Park!)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    Stu himself told me that it wasn't him.