space shuttle comes home !!!

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by nonsqtr, Aug 9, 2005.

1. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    The Discovery landed at about 5:15 AM Pacific Time this morning, right here at Edwards AFB. The transition to sub-sonic was pretty spectacular, we heard it all the way out here in Burbank, probably a hundred-some-odd miles away, it sounded like a bomb going off somewhere in the neighborhood. Dishes rattled, the pool water started vibrating, all that kind of stuff.

Heartfelt congratulations to the shuttle crew, and the entire NASA staff, for a successful mission. :)
  2. EXCELLENT !!!

Thank God. :hyper:

As soon as I got to the office, someone told me this.

Good news. :cool:

3. Yeah! I was hoping to see it before I went to work, but they scrubbed the last attempt. Better safe than sorry.

4. I'm glad to see everyone home safely.

However, does anybody else think that the space program is a colosal waste of money? What was it 2 billion dollars over 2 years, and they still have issues with the tiles? And 3/4 of a million to just return it to Florida on top of a 747?
  5. bassman314

bassman314 I seem to be a verb, an evolutionary process... Gold Supporting Member

Mar 13, 2005
    Bay Area, CA
    I don't think the Space Shuttle Program is a big waste of money.

Yes... it IS alot of money, and knowing our government, there's bound to be waste.

One thing we MUST keep in perspective is that we don't really know all that much about space travel yet. We've only been at it for what? 50 years? Between the US, and other key players, there's only been about 10 manned missions a year. That's not alot of data to work from to figure things out.

The Shuttle program is 25 years old or so. With the Major hiatus after Challenger, and the Discovery accident 2.5 years ago, we've still not gotten alot of info.

Since every flight gives us new insights to how space travel works, computer modeling isn't effective yet. Right now the only way to see how something will react to the temperature changes and lack of Oxygen is to shoot it up in space and see how it will work.

I don't think it is a collosal waste of money. It's an investment. Eventually, we will be able to travel among the stars, like in our favorite Sci-Fi's. We need to remember that in every Sci-Fi series that delves into the historical development of travel that it took years to get where they are.

It took centuries before we were able to sail more than a few miles from shore. It took centuries beyond that before we could routinely cross a major expanse of ocean.

It took billions in current dollars to develop railroads, steam engines, automobiles, and nuclear power. All along, there were set-backsm accidents and problems, yet people continued to strive forward towards a goal.

The hundreds of billions we've spent on the space program in the last 50 years will eventually pay a huge dividend for all of Humanity. I highly doubt that this will come in my lifetime, but it will come!
  6. DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Yeah, it was the space shuttle...or at least that's what you told HER. Shoulda laid off on the beans last night I guess. :smug:

brad cook
  7. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars

See bassman314's post for why I think you're dead wrong.

...we, as a SPECIES, need to look past the tip of our nose and prepare ourselves for the future. The typical mind set of the US business and it's citizenry baffles me completely, and really gives me little hope for the future.

This stuff is IMPORTANT folks, we NEED to do this.

It is necessary for our own long term survival, we need to be able to put our eggs in more than one basket in the long run, and in the interim we need to be able to protect ourselves from the very violent and nasty neighborhood we live in. If you don't think things can get ugly in a cosmic sense, just ask the dinosaurs...oh, CAN'T they're EXTINCT, thanks to a 10 km wide asteroid that crashed into the Gulf of Mexico just off the Yucatan peninsula about 65 million years ago.

Learning to get around in space will give us the ability to detect the threat and DO something about it before it becomes a situation that can't be rectified. You have to lay the groundwork for it right away, you can't wait until there IS a threat to get the technology together, you have to get it prepared in advance, or you might not have enough time.

One day it may NOT be a movie, it may be real, and I for one want us as a planet/species to have the ability to actually do something about it other than bend over, put our heads between our knees, and collectively kiss our @$$es goodbye.

...whew...sorry, rant over...

8. I kind of agree, however I think we've got a lot of problems to fix on our own planet first before we go wrecking another one. I'm not a bleeding heart liberal or anything, but people dying from starvation, or simple diseases that can be solved with 5 bucks of medication should certainly take precedent.
  9. bassman314

bassman314 I seem to be a verb, an evolutionary process... Gold Supporting Member

Mar 13, 2005
    Bay Area, CA
    Ya know what's impressive? When the shuttle starts re-entry, it's going about Mach 25... this is when it's facing bottom down, so the tiles take all the heat of re-entry... mach freakin' 25!!!

By the time it rotates so that it is actually diving into the atmoshpere so it can land, it's slowed down to a pokey Mach 8...
  10. bassman314

Mar 13, 2005
    Bay Area, CA
    Research in the space program can help with this! Freeze-dried food is an invention of the space program. Much of the water purification technology that is implemented world-wide in nasty areas is a direct result of water recycling in the space program. We've also learned how calcium loss affects the body.

And man... can we not forget Tang?? :D

Obviously, not all of this is used in our world for the betterment of others, which IS a problem.
  11. 2 billion over 2 years is like Micheal Jordan betting $50 a hole at golf. Drop in the bucket to them, it only sounds like a lot to us because our household budget isn't $500 billion dollars a year.

The shuttle has no power, its a glider, it can't come around for another pass, it has limited manueverability on re-entry. The weather was iffy in Florida, clear right there, but surrounded by clouds that could have drifted in and caused problems, so they chose California where the weather was clear for miles. That's a no brainer, there's no sense risking another irreplaceable shuttle over 3/4 of a million dollars of potential savings. Call it the cheapest insurance NASA could hope for.

12. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    I'm going to take a harsh, and probably somewhat unpopular stance here.

What good is it to save a few lives now at the possible expense of ALL life later?

Do I advocate ignoring these things? No, of course not! However, ditching the space programs around the world and reinvesting those resources to fixing these issues, while an immediate "feel good" response, may end up costing us a lot more in the long run. And, with the actual limited amout of resources involved, it probably won't have much of a positive effect on the issues you raise anyhow!

Again, you must think past the tip of your (or your neighbor's) nose here.
  13. Vorago

Vorago (((o)))

Jul 17, 2003
    Antwerp, Belgium
    Btw, I think some serious problems in the world are more related to distribution of wealth than lack of wealth.

Just my 0.02$
  14. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    You'll get no argument from me!

I still say not persuing our combined space programs is short-sighted, and will end up costing us more than not doing so.

The only real cure for the ills of the world are knowledge and education. Searching for it, and distributing it are key to the improvement of the lives of all people everywhere.

Knowledge IS power.
  15. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Im with Gard.

Im all for solving the hunger, disiease, and poverty issues, but those are short term superficial problems compared to conquering space travel. When our plannet becomes uninhabitable we're going to need somewhere else to go and no amount of food, miracle drug, or distribution of wealth is going to be able to save us.

I do think that we should scrap the shuttle though and start working on something more technologically advanced.
  16. kserg

Feb 20, 2004
    London, UK
    Fellas fellas... i think we are focusing on wrong things... if we stop the space program... the commies will win... sputnik people... pinkies in space... beeping 3 times a min... commies people commies!!!
  17. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    Eh...what would you know about

...yeah, well....

(..runs away...)

18. i feel the same way. it is something we have to do.
  19. Murf

Mar 28, 2001
    Is it just me or is their something so utterly awesome about the fact the shuttle was commanded and landed by.........................

a 50 year old woman

officially the coolest mom on the planet.... :bassist:
  20. I got to see the shuttle landing live on Aussie TV, bout 10/10:30pm I think it was, good to see the crew made it home safe... Man I seriously can believe how fast that thing goes though, I want one :)