SpaceShipOne Successful!

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by WillPlay4Food, Jun 21, 2004.

1. WillPlay4Food

WillPlay4Food Now With More Metal! Staff Member Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2002
    Orbiting HQ
    From here: -->

This was the first non-government flight to break out of the atmosphere. Could this be the first step in commercialization of space? Discuss. :D

This is a very exciting time for space travel. If corporations see they can get into space for millions, instead of the billions being spent by NASA maybe this will kick space exploration into high gear.
  2. Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    Hooray! :bassist:

I was just about to announce the news myself, this is awesome.

Of course this wasn't that cheap, but now that it's been done.. who knows what will the results be. Perhaps in something like 20-30 years we'll have commercial space flights as a perfectly natural thing. It's certainly getting only cheaper and more every day phenominon from here.

I should go practice Deep Purple's Space Trucking because of the occasion :D I'm having a beer to celebrate, too :cool:
  3. canopener

Sep 15, 2003
    Isle of Lucy
    This is great! With more competition, we may even see some companies trying to outdo each other, and gain some significant advancement quicker.
  4. WillPlay4Food

Apr 9, 2002
    Orbiting HQ
    According to the articles I read, SpaceShipOne cost $20million to build. Compared to the price of a space shuttle that's a drop in the bucket.

I understand SSO is no space shuttle, but for ordinary people to get into space for $20mil. is quite the achievement to me.
  5. WillPlay4Food

Apr 9, 2002
    Orbiting HQ
    There are currently 25 companies competing for the X-Prize. So far, SpaceShipOne has the lead. Now they just need to fly SSO into space twice in two weeks with 3 people on board to win the $10million prize.
  6. i think nasa is a bloated government boondoggle that should be shut down. space exploration as a national interest should only be practiced in times of peace and prosperity. leaving it to the private sector is the right thing to do.
  7. yeah, its finally time for space exploration to become on the news again.
    baby boomers had their moon landing i guess us Green Day generation will have commercialized space trips. Hooray :hyper:
  8. thrash_jazz

Jan 11, 2002
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Artist: JAF Basses, Circle K Strings
    This is good news, and it will probably provoke a lot of competition in the near future.

I recall hearing that a similar thing happened with aviation back in the early 20th century, thus helping to make it what it is today.
  9. neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    well, i think that the air force should own any rate, i think this is really cool...maybe we'll actually land someone on the moon this time :D
  10. I'm going to start saving now for my eventual trip to Six Flags: Sea of Tranquility.

11. Dude!
  12. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Maybe we should leave politics out of this since its in off topic.
  13. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Competition is what got us into space and on the moon the first time around. We havent had anyone competing for years so nothing has happened. Now that we have something like this going on Im sure the competetive spirit will help drive people into space again.
  14. you're right nick. sorry.

yay, privatized space industry!
  15. Frijoles Negros

Frijoles Negros

Mar 21, 2004
    Some links to the perennial "what has NASA done for me lately?" questions.

Link 1

Link 2

Also- read "Space Technology Spinoffs" by Gene Gurney, ISBN: 0-531-02290-0. 1979

I dont know, but everytime I hear this, I think of "Life of Brian"

All right, but apart from the sanitation, the medicine, education, wine, public order, irrigation, roads, a fresh water system, and public health, what have the Romans ever done for us?
  16. Huh. All I could come up with is Velcro and Tang.

Looks like them NASA boys 'been busy!

I just hope these guys didn't shortcut safety as a way to get into space cheaply.

17. Frijoles Negros

Frijoles Negros

Mar 21, 2004
    The amount of safety on these flights to orbit - way higher than the 62 miles achieved by this private craft- always amaze me. The shuttle is riding on a huge controlled explosion.

Then, theyre saddled with pressure for efficiency and cost-effectiveness. Those engineers walk a fine wire between factors of safety and cost. Theres also the push for high-profile type experiments to visibly remind the public. Its not enough that theres a plethora of regular items we use that were directly or indirectly spawned from nasa.

I am always amazed when I see one of those go up.
  18. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    two ninja's for Space Ship One!!!! :ninja: :ninja:
  19. grovest

Feb 26, 2002
    I saw this at work today - emailed all my friends - and I think it is so great. It is so great, in fact, that I am going to do something I never thought I'd do...

Yes, that's right, use the hyper smiliey.

But seriously, today was one small flight for SC, one giant leap for man-kind.

And what has NASA done for us lately? How about continually inspiring generations of kids to become interested in science and technology?