1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Spacey Phaser?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by arbitrary, Feb 22, 2008.

1. arbitrary

arbitrary Supporting Member

Oct 24, 2005
    Boston, MA
    I already have funky phaser all set. So right now I'm looking for a spacey phaser to be used for more melodic, chordal work. I have on the list so far : HBE Psilocybe, Red Witch Moon Phaser, Moog, subdecay quasar. Any other suggestions or thoughts about these?

The moog might be cool, but its just so damn big and I've heard some problems with the bypass on them (I hope thats not true though).

Thanks! and yes, I've done the searches.

2. Lebowsky

Lebowsky Effects Forum Resident

Mar 18, 2007
    Lausanne, Switzerland
    TC Electronics

3. Ryan Mohr

Ryan Mohr

Oct 23, 2007
    May I ask what your funky phaser is?

4. Brad Barker

Brad Barker

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca
    do you like step phasing much? there's a boss ph-3 en route to my mailbox for that mode alone. :cool:

5. Ryan Mohr

Ryan Mohr

Oct 23, 2007
    Have you heard good reviews of it? It seems great because of its versatility but I have heard the sound is lacking.

6. arbitrary

Oct 24, 2005
    Boston, MA
    I'm using the pigtronix ep1 with the mods for the sweep on the envelope filter and phase/envelope filter being used together. I know there are a couple other brands out there that do similar things, but I got a good deal on this so I'm happy.

I had the ph3 for a while and it didn't exactly "turn my crack".

7. Ryan Mohr

Ryan Mohr

Oct 23, 2007
    Maybe a Boss PH-2 off ebay, its a 12 stage phaser so it can be pretty spacey, and it has two modes, one is subtles and the other is very extreme. Mike Einziger of Incubus uses it a lot, in fact he has two set at different settings. The bassist Dirk Lance also uses it. You can hear it in this song - http://youtube.com/watch?v=J0ZRvxDrOxo&feature=related - at about 1:22 to 1:48. It is sweeping very slowly in the background and he is using a Big Muff with it. You can't miss the sound.

8. Swimming Bird

Swimming Bird

Apr 18, 2006
    Wheaton MD
    +1 for the Boss PH-3 -- it's rise and fall modes are perfect for ambiance.

9. nad

nad 60 Cycle Humdinger Commercial User

Sep 22, 2005
    Not Mars
    The Overlord of Nordstrand Pickups
    I can't compare my Psilocybe to other phasers (except some metallic red DOD phaser I used about 13 years ago), but it is quite nice. It can be a little subtle unless you crank the resonance, but does what I need it to do. With distortion going in, it gets pretty wild, and with an envelope filter on the out side, it sounds incredible. Switch 1 helps to retain the low end very well, but usually makes it too subtle at that point for me.

Some have experienced slight volume drops with them, but I haven't. The only other phaser I'm interested in is this lovely piece of awesome:

[​IMG]

Unfortunately, I have yet to justify buying one. :smug:

10. Joe P

Joe P

Jul 15, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
    Does it actually have to say "phaser" on it??

...'Cause when you're talkin' spacey/melodic/chordal', then Dude: don't forget about the Univibe. The Univibe is quite phasey in the chorus mode. And besides that - whatever it is, technically, there is absolutely nothing like that incredible Univibe suck and throb.

I borrowed my guitarist brother's Uni' to see if maybe I should consider it for Bass. I returned it back to him in a couple days, saying "Well - I have no use for this anymore". He said "so you didn't like it?". I said "I borrowed it in order to see if I needed one. I knew within ten minutes that I need one BAD".

They're fascinatingly mind-bending. Trippindicular, People; I'm tellin' ya.

Joe

11. Brad Barker

Brad Barker

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca
    well, i don't plan on using it for traditional-sounding phasing, so i won't be too disappointed if i find that it isn't perfect. still waiting on it, though. :mad:

12. SpankyPants

SpankyPants That's Mr. SpankyPants to you.

Aug 24, 2006
    Brooklyn, NY
    JOE!!!! It's been a lifetime!! Where have you been, man?

13. Try the Rocktron Heart Attack

14. theres a vid of it in use

15. arbitrary

Oct 24, 2005
    Boston, MA
    I'll look into the univibe, maybe something for me to get in addition to. WOOHOO!! That Phantasm does seem cool, just so damned expensive.

Thanks for the input everyone!

16. Jared Lash

Jared Lash Born under punches

Aug 21, 2006
    Denver, CO
    I've never tried it on bass, but Fulltone's Deja Vibe sounds incredible on guitar. It recreates the Univibe sound perfectly. But, just like the Phantasm it's got a hefty price tag.

My old guitar player (who now does session work) absolutely loves his though. Considering that I am looking for a new phaser and I'd like a vibrato pedal, I may have to give it a whirl on bass. My only concern is that neither effect might not be deep enough for use on bass.

17. Jared Lash

Jared Lash Born under punches

Aug 21, 2006
    Denver, CO
    That might be listed as a phaser, but it's an envelope filter/follower, especially since it seems to be dynamically controlled. And from the sound of it, I'd bet it's a clone of the Bassballs.

18. If by a spacey phaser you mean early Sonic Youth phased overdrive sound than look for an old Ibanez PT9.

[​IMG]

It's quite hard to find though...