1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Spackle Bucket cab from Krappy Guitars

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Nuka, Apr 20, 2015.

1. Nuka

Nuka

Mar 5, 2015
    US
    OK, saw this:
    travel12.
    on Krappyguitars which I found from a link in the less-than-4-string bass thread elsewhere on TB. They call it the SpackleBucket AC/DC amp.
    I'm intrigued. Amp aside, could this work and actually sound decent?

I'm thinking of the tb110 design with the Basslite S2010 driver. A 5 gallon bucket is only .66 cubic feet, but brewers and others use 7.8 gallon ones that are almost exactly 1 cubic foot. The lids are about 12" in diameter.

Would a bucket even be rigid enough? Has anyone ever tried anything like this?

2. Razman

Razman Supporting Member

Feb 10, 2005
    Orange Park, FL
    Do they have a model for metal?

3. Very fun to sit on your cab while you play.

4. spankdaplank

spankdaplank

Jan 19, 2003
    Philippines
    The relatively thin plastic will vibrate sympathetically with the speaker. Audiophile speakers are often constructed of 1" MDF to avoid any vibration.
    That being said, if you have a speaker on hand it might be worth the effort to build one just to see what it sounds like. Maybe the vibrations could be "musical" as in distortion and fuzz is considered musical.

5. mrufino1

mrufino1 Supporting Member

Aug 2, 2005
    Nutley, NJ
    Kevin is nutty (in a very good way), we used to live in the same town. He was my brother's bass teacher at one point and is a great chapman stick player. Actually, there were 3 of us in that town who played chapman stick but none if us knew each other, then I met Kevin later. Now I am in a wedding band with the other one ( neither of us stuck with stick). We didn't realize that til the second gig we did together. Strange. I love Krappy's website, someday if I have extra money I'll get something he makes.

6. Nuka

Nuka

Mar 5, 2015
    US
    That's awesome. I just find all the stuff he makes fascinating in a hacker way. I feel like too many people are "precious" about music equipment and he has an awesome attitude towards it.

Chapman Sticks seem cool, but nobody seems to stick with it. Care to share why you quit playing it?

middy likes this.
  7. mrufino1

mrufino1 Supporting Member

Aug 2, 2005
    Nutley, NJ
    I realized I was basically starting from scratch again and had the mindset of a bassist, so why not just keep playing bass? Also, I played upright, where you feel the bass resonate, and stick doesn't do that. I still wonder how tony levin gets that fat sound from stick.