Spaghetti Western Bass

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by frianbisher, Sep 8, 2010.

1. frianbisher

frianbisher

Dec 28, 2007
    Milwaukee WI
    Hi guys,

I have been playing Red Dead Redemption lately and the spaghetti western soundtrack is just plain awesome. I'd really like to experiment with this style of music but I dont know where to begin. It almost sounds like a form of minimalist surf rock to me.

Any reccomended listening or basic patterns for basslines that you guys know of? Are there any common guitar chords or chord progressions that are used.

Thanks for your help.

2. Petethebassman

Petethebassman

Mar 7, 2008
    Finland
    Recommended listening? Go to the source and get a good collection of Ennio Morricone.

3. etherealme

etherealme Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2007
    Louisiana
    Very interested. Where did you find the soundtrack, or what source can you recommend in finding another?

Also, mods might want to move to recordings section?

4. Richland123

Richland123

Apr 17, 2009
    In a similar vein are tunes by Al Caiola. Here are a few.

5. frianbisher

frianbisher

Dec 28, 2007
    Milwaukee WI
    Cool thanks guys, also, I know the read dead redemption soundtrack is available on itunes. One of the tracks has a real cool old vintage p-bass sound.

6. waleross

waleross

Nov 27, 2009
    South Florida
    Great links! I have one that is by Jet Harris played on a Fender VI bass guitar. Tuned like a guitar but one octive down. Real cool !! Besame Mucho

7. etherealme

etherealme Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2007
    Louisiana
  8. bongomania

bongomania Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Also check out soundtracks by Angelo Badalamenti. There's often baritone guitar with tremolo and reverb, a very haunting sound.

9. If you're interested, check out the game "Gundead Defense" on iTunes (for iPod/iPhone) - my band did the soundtrack in the style of post-apocalyptic zombie western :D

I used my Stingray (tuned BEAD) and my jazz, I think. Also played some baritone guitar doubled with the BEAD bass, that's how you get that thick, tic-tac bass sound!!

10. fryBASS

fryBASS

Aug 8, 2006
    New Haven, CT
    Did someone say Spegetti Western?

11. Just love Spaghetti Westerns, the music the places the characters, one of my favorites is "My Name Is Nobody" Morricone and the other composer arrangers were so clever using unusual instruments.

12. behndy

behndy Inactive

Nov 1, 2008
    California
  13. mccartneyman

mccartneyman

Dec 22, 2006
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Managing Editor, Bass Guitars Editor, MusicGearReview.com
  14. ggunn

ggunn

Aug 30, 2006
    Austin, TX
    Are you guys talking about A Fistful of Dollars, For a Few Dollars More, and Once Upon a Time in the West?

Waa-i-a-i-aaah waah waah waaaaah!

15. frianbisher

frianbisher

Dec 28, 2007
    Milwaukee WI
    Great now I'm fighting the urge to buy a JazzVI....but thanks for the great links guys. It also looks like you can't go wrong with A minor...

16. Stinsok

Stinsok Supporting Member

Dec 16, 2002
    Central Alabama
    My father (bless his heart) has soundtracks for all those Clint Eastwood movies (Fist full of dollars, etc.) He loves that stuff!

17. ggunn

ggunn

Aug 30, 2006
    Austin, TX
    The soundtrack for The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly is outstanding!

18. MIJ-VI

MIJ-VI Inactive Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2009

19. You could also have a listen to some of the Pickin On series
    Bluegrass covers, sounds like it shouldn't work but some of it does.
    Have a listen to Pickin on Led Zeppelin (amazon.com)
    That Seasick Steve, Ennio Morricone and Johnny Cash featured pretty heavily on the playlist when I was playing through Red Dead Redemption

20. There's a sound in the RDR music that pops up often that sounds like the Mellotron "electric guitar" tapes.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 15, 2021