Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Spain - Costa Del Sol ... what to do?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by The_Bass, Apr 19, 2004.

1. aloha!

Ok, so I'm graduating, and will be going on a 2-week trip with 30-40 others (including Erlendur Már) to Costa Del Sol, Spain.

That trip will probably be spent lying on the beach, drinking.

What I need to know is, what else is there to do over there?
    How's the music scene? where should I look for concerts?
    What are interesting places to check out?

Does anyone who lives there/has gone there have any idea about what to do there for 2 weeks? :) :hyper:

2. mz91

mz91

Apr 19, 2002
    Zug, Switzerland
    There probably wont be any concerts...

Its basically a place for young people like you and me to go and have fun. Get ready to drink a whole sh** load of beer. Flirt with alot of woman. oh yea, and drink loads of tequila...

Your basically going to be drunk the whole time if it anything like when my cousin went...

3. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    ....let's see....the last time I went to the Costa del Sol, it was a sand road through pine trees, a beautiful basically empty beach, and the incredibly amazingly blue Med....I swam a lot, explored the pine forest, and remember having races with the big black beetles we found everywhere...

...ok, I just told everyone I'm OLD....

:help:

My father, who was in the US Air Force at the time, was stationed in Seville (learn to say "Say-bee-yah" if you're going there, or you'll irritate the natives! ;) ) back in the mid 1960's, and we went camping there quite often. What I've seen and heard of it now makes me very happy I haven't been back, honestly.

4. Gard, you're fourteen years younger than I am and I don't consider myself old. But then, I don't know when I should consider myself old (fortunately).

5. Ívar Þórólfsson

Ívar Þórólfsson Mmmmmm... Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2001
    Kopavogur, Iceland
    Hey babe! ;)

I went to Costa del Sol in 1999. Which city/town will you be going to? I was in Torremolinos.

Things to do? Well, there is an Aquapark just a short ride from the town, there is all sorts of activity along the beach. You can rent all sorts of stuff to go out to the sea with.

There are lot´s of discoteques there, especially near boat harbour.

There is a relatively short train ride to Malaga which is a decent sized city with all the usual stuff you would expect, malls etc.

Your group should book the tour to Morocco. The tour is quite tourist-y though, but it is fun to see the old city and seeing that the old ways of living are still in full swing there.
    But be warned, you have to get up around 4-5am to go to the tour :)

Definately don´t be shy with the sunblock lotion for the first days. Nothing sucks more then being sunburned for the first week.

While I was there I tried to look for some music shops in Torremolinos but I could not find any decent one.. I doubt that it has gotten better now...

Mmm.... Can´t remember anything else for the moment, if you have any questions, just ask and I´ll try to answer them..

I have though an interesting story from my stay there:
    Me and my then girlfriend were dining at a local seafood restaurant at the beach and on the table next to us was an elderly spanish couple. They had finished their dinner and we were just minding our own business. Suddenly the woman starts to yell at the man, we turn to look and we see that the man is slouched over and his skin had turned pale. She splashed a glass of water on him but nothing happened. The man was apparently having a heart attack.
    The waiter comes running and puts the man up and gives gives him CPR right there on the spot. After 20-30 seconds or so the man comes back to life. The waiter just carried on as usual and the couple resumed their conversation.

It was absolutely surreal watching this from the next table...

Well, have fun! :D

6. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    ...and you can still type!!!

:eek:

;)

I'm not old, don't worry, just makin' a joke about being conscious and coherent in the 60's! :D

7. And I really shock folks with all that I still can do!!

No worries here either. My comments are "just makin' joke" too.

8. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

It depends where you go on the Costa del Sol - as has been mentioned, Malaga is a pretty nice city with wonderful squares, historic cathedral and as much culture as any large European city.

Last year, I stayed in Nerja, which is near to Malaga and there was a a very good cultural centre - one night there was a good Central European SymphonyOrchestra and the next night I saw a very good Jazz singer backed by a pretty good band - playing a mixture of Jazz originals and covers of Brazilian songs.

The city of Granada isn't far from the Costa del Sol and is well worth a visit - wonderful historic buildings and markets - with a very good cultural life - plenty of gigs and live music going on all the time! :)

9. Erlendur Már

Erlendur Már

May 24, 2000
    I think we will go to Morocco, that will definitely be cool.

Oh yeah! we have to check that out!

10. Ívar Þórólfsson

Ívar Þórólfsson Mmmmmm... Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2001
    Kopavogur, Iceland

I second the Granada tour! I also went there and we took a tour around a wonderful castle there. The castle gardens were absolutely beautiful! Well worth the busride to go there!

But you forgot to mention... in which town will you be? Torremolinos? Benalmadena? Fuengirola? Marbella? Spill the beans!

If you will be in Torremolinos, by all means seek out an Icelandic bar which is near the centre of the town. Fun stuff there! :)

11. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Maybe it's just a cheap flight to Malaga and take it from there....? ;)

12. Erlendur Már

Erlendur Már

May 24, 2000
    I think we will be in Torremolinos, but I'm not sure. If we'll be there, I will definitely check out that bar :)
    Anyway, only 5 weeks to go!