Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Spalt Basses - just visited

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by frederic b. hodshon, Jun 30, 2002.

1. frederic b. hodshon

frederic b. hodshon Supporting Member

May 10, 2000
    Lake Forest, CA
    None.
    well,

just back from Michael Spalt's shop in LA.

www.spaltbasses.com

what a champ of a guy. we talked for over 3 hours.

i'm now involved in a new design of his - 3D CAD. should be VERY interesting. probably bigger than we think!

i played a few of his basses. and DAMN, if the MAGMA LIGHTWAVE wasn't my favorite!

what a night and day difference from my Zon Lightwave. just reafirms the lightwave as the most transparent pickup available.

the BASS comes through with little or no coloration.

we spoke at length about bass design, market forces, Bassplayer Mag, Fender-itis, Fodera, etc...

yeah, i know it doesn't look like a Jazz, but it is one of the most well thought out designs i've ever played.

i took some pics at his shop, check them out at:

http://members9.clubphoto.com/fred536059/817087/guest.phtml

he's a forward thinker. don't be scared...its just a friggin bass!

more later....

i love my job.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

fred

2. Very cool, Fred. Congrats!

How was the LW bass different from your Zon?

Jeff

3. frederic b. hodshon

May 10, 2000
    Lake Forest, CA
    None.
    jeff,

the Magma i played had a wenge neck and ebony fongerboard.

it was more WOODSY than the Zon....go figure.

was VERY flexible in tonal variations.

i loved it.

i've been 3D modeling basses for another company - in that i haven't played in a while.

i'll tell ya, the Spalt was a DREAM to play. its like i never stopped.

Michael Spalt has it down!

fred

4. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

Don't be talkin' about us Fender-lovers like we got some kinda disease, man! :D

5. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    Call me superficial - that might be the best bass ever for all I know, but I still won't touch it with a ten f-in foot pole.

6. frederic b. hodshon

May 10, 2000
    Lake Forest, CA
    None.
    why's that?

f

7. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    It's just the way they look. The design makes me want to cough up my breakfast. I mean REALLY bad, too. Sorry. Guess I suffer from "Fender-itis"... :D

8. frederic b. hodshon

May 10, 2000
    Lake Forest, CA
    None.
    no need to apologize.

fender-itis is pandemic.

tends to blind folks from true innovations. like having a nasty infection and refusing to take antibiotics.

completely understandable.

f

9. Aaron

Aaron

Jun 2, 2001
    Bellingham, WA
    I've never played one, but even if it was the best sounding and playing bass in the world, would people take you seriously if you were playing one for a jazz gig or even a country gig?

10. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    That's not quite the same thing, but OK. What's the old saying like... "whatever floats your boat"?

11. frederic b. hodshon

May 10, 2000
    Lake Forest, CA
    None.
    so, it really is about image rather than tone and feel?

i'd take one to whatever gig i had.

especially the fretless lightwave for a jazz gig.

tone to die for!

f

12. frederic b. hodshon

May 10, 2000
    Lake Forest, CA
    None.
    my god people....listen to yourselves.

isn't it about the music and how it sounds?

to say that it may be the best bass in the world, but i won't play it because i'm scared of what people may think about what it looks like...

i guess we have to wait for the likes of Wooten, Pattitucci, et al to show up to some "serious" gigs with one of these before its

"OK TO PLAY A SPALT!"

or any other fender-diversion.

then, you'll be falling all over yourselves to get one.

you did it with fender....

f

13. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    Dude, chill out. Some people think they are ugly. Enough said. You don't have to turn it around by insulting everyone here.

14. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    Hey, if I'm to shell out $3,000 for a bass (or closer to $4,500 with all VAT, duty fees and shipping costs it would take to bring one here), I definitely want something that I feel comfortable playing and doesn't make me feel all nauseous everytime I lay my eyes on it. No, I don't care what everyone else may think, I only care about what *I* think, and I don't want it. I never said appearance is EVERYTHING, it sure isn't, but if I'm going the custom, or at least semi-custom route, I don't think I should be forced to buy a fugly product (IMO, if that escapes someone).

Don't be so cranky just because I don't like the way it looks. There are many basses I don't like the looks of, but in what way does that affect you?

Had it cost $1,500, delivered to my door, and sounded killer - sure, I would have bought it without blinking. But at three times that price, I want looks too. I'm not made out of money, I have a very modest income. And maybe I need a pretty bass to embellish my own horrid appearance!

15. frederic b. hodshon

May 10, 2000
    Lake Forest, CA
    None.
    i'm not upset.

and how did i insult "everyone here" ?

i just think that some of the comments made were due responses.

if its about looks and not tone and playability, fine.

i just wanted to make sure i understood where some were coming from.

if you want to counter some of the points i made, let's hear it...otherwise, you're "hall monitor" attitude is just as insulting as you think my comments were.

f

16. frederic b. hodshon

May 10, 2000
    Lake Forest, CA
    None.
    wow...

i really didn't get cranky and didn't mean to offend anyone.

i don't care what you buy.

i like pretty basses too. i have one...even though some think i'm insane to own a bass without a wooden neck.

just calling it the way i see it. i'll accept corrections as i go.

and oysterman, if you read the quote area in my post, my comments were more directed at portraitoftracy.

if you're uncomfortable with my comments, then i'll avoid posts towards you in the future.

i don't think what i said was THAT inflammatory...if we can't take some pokes at ourselves without laughing...well....

fireaway at me as you like.

heck, i even have some of my playing as audio clips on the yahoo altguitarbass group.

have at it!

i'll post updates as the design comes along.

:D

xxoo
    f

17. frederic b. hodshon

May 10, 2000
    Lake Forest, CA
    None.
    to clarify:

my "hall monitor" comment was directed towards geshel.

i'm not so hot at quoting.

just want to make sure the arrows come from the intended source.

:)

fred "i really love you all" hodshon

GROUP BASS HUG?

18. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    f, if I post something like that it's not because I'm defending somebody or just think you need to be put in your place. It's because I was thinking along similar lines to what others had said. So, your comments spoke to me. The fact that you made your statement plural ("people", "yourselves") only helps to convey this. If your reaction to this is, "well how am I supposed to know what you're thinking?" or "but I wasn't talking to you" then be sure to let me know so I don't read any more of your posts.

Meanwhile,

1. nobody said they were scared to play it. I believe the phrase used was, "would anyone take you seriously?". A valid question.

2. from here you said that as soon as they became "cool" (my word) we'd all be "falling all over ourselves" to get one. Saying we "fender-itis" types (gee, I've never really been partial to Fenders) were blind to "true innovations". (BTW, *** did I "do with Fender?")

But really, the basic thing is that people stated a simple aesthetic opinion or concerns over such, and you immediately went into insult mode. Why?

And I think your effort to make it all nice with "I was only joking" posts looks pretty thin. Especially when you set up anyone who continues to discuss the point with you by implying that they are attacking you ("fire away", "arrows"). (thank you for your permission to rebut by the way)

19. frederic b. hodshon

May 10, 2000
    Lake Forest, CA
    None.
    ahhh well....

i beg to differ with your take on my "bowing out"...

with all due respect (and i mean that), you kind of lost me with that paragraph.

which leads me to believe that the person feels the appearance of an instrument undermines the music. no?

um, again, i'm feeling really dumb here, but i missed your point on that.

[
    well, it seemed more than just aesthetic. of course, the good point of price eventually came into play. understood. but, originally, it seemed more dogmatic than aesthetic. hence my prodding.

i never said i was "only joking"...

but, yes, i'm guilty of trying to lighten it up.

now THAT was tongue firmly planted in the low end (bass that is). i don't have a problem with continued discussion...the "fire away"/"arrows" comment was a joke. i guess in context, mixing levity wasn't appropriate.

my intent wasn't to raise ire.

you are right, however, my fender-itis tilt was bound to cause a stir.

i should have expected the reaction i got.

no problem.

in closing, i thought the thread was going quite reasonably. my comments were no more opinionated than any other. nor stronger.

anyway, i'll move on. i have no problem with aesthetic differences. i WILL continue to ask a person why a design makes them want to cough up breakfast. i don't think that's unreasonable.

f

20. PhatBasstard

PhatBasstard Spector Dissector Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2002
    Las Vegas, NV.
    I neither love nor hate it, but it does look like a picture of my internal organs.

I do think looks has to play somewhat a part of what we do and what we use, other wise everything would be built as "purely functional". I think things would look pretty ugly and boring if that was the case.

Individuality is the key. "Player X" (for his own reasons) LOVES "bass A". Player Y (for whatever reasons) HATES "bass A".
    Both are OK.

Hold on.......I think I have to go burn all of my Stuart Smally discs now. :p