Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Spalt basses?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jean, May 7, 2002.

1. I've been looking at Spalt for a little while now, but where I live, my chances of getting near a Spalt bass are about the same as 30 billion dollars landing through my ceiling and into my living room.

My question is this. How do they sound??? Has anyone around here played one? I think they're positively GASeous, but my sentiments aren't shared by too many people around here... I searched the database before posting this to be sure I wasn't going to create a re-run, and someone thought they were about the ugliest things ever created! Personally, I think they're works of art... :D ...though I'm sure Spalts are entirely out of my league financially! :(

2. They sound the same as if the bass were to have a maple cap. Spalt is maple.

Here's a link to pic of the spalt billet that Sadowsky is using for my PJ4: http://www.ofoto.com/PhotoView.jsp?...326369&collid=38504169203&photoid=59478439303

Depending on the thickness it may add some brightness. For example, Roger Sadowsky uses thin maple on his guitars and basses and it really doesn't affect the tone too much. On a Paul Reed Smith Custom or Les Paul guitar (I know, forgive me) the maple is about 5 times thicker so it will brighten up the tone compared to the counterpart mahogany PRS Standard or Gibson SG.

3. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    No no no, not spalt. Spalt!

This is a spalt:

[​IMG]

4. pilotjones

pilotjones Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2001
    US-NY-NYC
    JimS

I'm guessing jean is talking about not about spalted woods, but about Spalt, the company. Extremely unusual shape, disliked by most. Here's one at Bass Northwest, so you can see why most people have such strong reactions:
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

5. pilotjones

pilotjones Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2001
    US-NY-NYC
    dang it, O-man, you beat me!

6. [ducks and covers...]

No, sorry... I was talking about the Spalt company! For some reason, these monstrosities appeal to me greatly.

So, back to the original question... Has anyone played one?

Thanks. :D

7. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.
    Endorsing artist:see profile.
    I've played the spalt basses on numerous occasions,and they are very versatile.thats one of the first things I look for in a bass.the sound cuts thru.the bottom response is nice and clear its not muddy at all,and if you play a nice amount of funk od metal it wont let you down.overall the bass is truly in the ranks with Fodera,Warrior,MTD,etc the only thing I dont like about the Spalt bass is its avantgarde appearance,and this is something I've went over with the owners Leo and Tanya before.I do respect its desighn.
    Feel free to give Leo and Tanya a call at
    800-328-0136