Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Spalted Boards

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by BassMan257, Mar 15, 2006.

1. So, i just got my spalted boards.... and boy, are they spalted...

whoever said they are like cornbread, is basically right... now my question is, how can i fix that?

My boards are allmost falling apart... its extreamly saddening..

there are a couple big gashes as well..

how can i fix these? do you suggest putting heavy clear cote or some other finish on it before puting it on a blank? I mean, simply put, just being around them makes me uncomfortable...

also, in this case, what kind of wood do you suggest i put this top on? I just dont know what to go with

ill post pics later... sorry i just dont have time...

thanks for yours though

2. Cerb

Cerb

Sep 27, 2004
    Indiana
    I believe that stabilizing with epoxy is what is usually done, but certainly don't take my word for it.

3. I soak mine in wood hardner, it's make to repair wet rot in window frames and like, I buy mine at my local decorating center, pour it into a shallow bowl, just enough to cover one peice of wood and let it soak of 15mins or so hang up to dry over bowl, next day done, I found it works great.

4. FBB Custom

FBB Custom TalkBass Pro Commercial User

Jan 26, 2002
    Maryland
    Owner: FBB Bass Works
    You might want to try CPES from Rot Doctor. It's a penetrating epoxy sealer.

I don't know where you got it or if it was misrepresented in terms of the soundness of the wood, but spalted maple does not have to be punky. If you paid a lot or if it was not represented as being rotted/punky material I would consider raising hell. If you bought it in person, well, then try the CPES and see if you can cut away the majority of the punky wood... ;)

5. I bought it over ebay... paid 10.50... but shipping was 17...

they sent another boards with it... wierd flaming and a couple spalts...
    thats not "punky" at all....

6. FBB Custom

Jan 26, 2002
    Maryland
    If the description did not mention the punky area, I would take that up with the seller. Shipping costs tend to be outrageous on EBay. I hope it came cross country or from Canada. I can ship a bass FedEx ground within a zone for around $20.

7. yeah... its from canada.... ill post pics in a moment or two...

8. Here ye go

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Punky or no?

btw... the red things outline cracks...

9. FBB Custom

Jan 26, 2002
    Maryland
    I guess the fine print mentioned the crappy crap. The problem with these canadian ebay deals is that the shipping is more than the item so it's not worth breaking their stones on a refund. I've just about had it with buying wood off ebay.

The cracks will need to be filled (CA glue or epoxy) and the punk will need to be treated (CPES). It should be usable, though. It's a unique board so grin and bear it. It'll be a little more work but it will probably turn out fine.

10. dang... this is annoying...

so at least if i can fix it, im happy.. but yeah...

11. tjclem

tjclem Supporting Member Commercial User

Jun 6, 2004
    Central Florida
    Owner and builder Clementbass
    How wide is your bass going to be? Have you made a template you can lay over the top and line up and see what you need ad don't need width wise? You have a lot of width there you may want to cut an inch off the edge of each to get rid of the worst of the rot in the center. I do use the CPES from Rot Doctor then a lot of thickness sanding. Good luck......Tom

12. That is some nice spalting. My dad has about 40 board feet of maple that he is currently spalting under our deck, I might use some of it for a top some day.

lowsound

13. Ive recently been thinking about doing something like that...
    I need to get ahold of some i can cut and spalt...

how exactly is he doing it? is he using sawdust too?

Ive got a maple in my backyard... lol:ninja:

14. Truthfully, the really bad part is when the spalting stops and kinda goes to regular maple... its bascally cracked halfway down both boards...

If i can snag some time today, i might start working on this bad boy

15. tjclem

tjclem Supporting Member Commercial User

Jun 6, 2004
    Central Florida
    Owner and builder Clementbass
    The choice is up to you. It might be the time to decide that set is not worth the trouble. The time and effort involved may be more trouble than the couple of bucks you have invested. How wide a set do you neeed?.......t

16. epoxy baby, pour some epoxy over it, clear coat is thin enough that it'll soak into the pores. Even alder sucks up system 3 clear coat.

good luck.

17. Find a moistish spot, place the wood so a cut end is on the ground and put a plastic bag over it. Find it in a year and you have a nicely spalted board.

lowsound

18. yeah, the version I heard was to Put it in a "moister" spot, with the cut side down, and cover it with sawdust... you have to check it every couple months cause evedently in some situations it can happen in like 6 months... and if it looks good then, your not going to want to find it in a year...

Im guessing this wont fix the Cracks though right? cause I have alot of epoxy around the house... if it will work i could actually go to town on it soon

I think its like 12 and a half inches wide... im planning on expoxying the thing...

[​IMG]

and forget about the neck taper in that photo... I didnt measure it, and everyone has told me im an idiot because of it...

go figure... the design has also been called a copy of just about everything... sadly enough i havent seen any of them except for a ric... but its also been called "the ric on acid" too.. and "nothing special"... i love the people here..

19. Have you seen how burled woods are dealt with? buckeye burl, or amboyna? these things are filled. You could mix up a black epoxy mix and fill up the holes selectively, then sand flush. What'll remain will look like it's part of the spalt figure. Your problem is the holes that were left by aggressive planning. You'll just have to fill these with a mixture of epoxy and dust.