Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Spalted body done

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by tjclem, Jan 23, 2005.

1. tjclem

tjclem Supporting Member Commercial User

Jun 6, 2004
    Central Florida
    Owner and builder Clementbass
    Thanks for your help on this one. I found spalted wood to be a real pain to work with. Real pretty but it will be a while before I mess with it again. There must be some tricks that I don't know about.

2. Bassic83

Bassic83

Jul 26, 2004
    Texas, USSA
    That's real pretty, Tom! I've heard of people "stabilizing" the spalteds with CA before working them, but I've never done it. Greg Yancey told me kinda how to do it. Another option for next time would be to get it pre-stabilized, perhaps Gallery does this, or has a line on where you could send the top to have it done beforehand. Great job nonetheless- the top horn is kinda Jerzy-like, I like it a lot!

3. teacherguy

teacherguy

Feb 21, 2004
    Cincinnati, OH
    That is a great looking top!
    I like the body design a lot!
    Keep us posted!

Jon

4. nice design!

5. budman

budman Commercial User

Oct 7, 2004
    Houston, TX
    Formerly the owner/builder of LeCompte Electric Bass
    That looks pretty neat. Is the back walnut?

6. damn skippy, spalted wood sucks! one of the instruments I'm building was going to have a spalt maple back. it was really pretty, but so damn punky! it broke just by grabbing it the wrong way!.

be very careful about spalt wood, also because the dust is harmful because of all the fungui. could get you some really bad lung problems

7. tjclem

Jun 6, 2004
    Central Florida
    Thanks all. No the back is bookmatched Spalt as well. The core is Mahogany and Walnut. The body is 8 pieces.........t

8. rusty

rusty

Mar 29, 2004
    Singapore
    That's a great body shape - one of the nicest organically shaped ones I've seen. That's a very nice spalted top as well - can't wait to see the updates on this one! :hyper:

9. tjclem

Jun 6, 2004
    Central Florida
    Thanks I loaded the pups and bridge I was sent into it today.

10. Extremely cool! I thought it looked good before the hardware, but now it's just incredible.

...makes me want to get mine finished :hyper:

11. Great job Tom! What did you use for the finish? I'm getting closer to finishing mine. I have the back cavity routed out and should be routing the pickup cavities today or tomorrow. It's taking me a while, but I've been working on it here and there.

Ryan

12. tjclem

Jun 6, 2004
    Central Florida
    Thanks. I used spray poly on it. You need any more help on yours?

13. Scott French

Scott French Dude Supporting Member

May 12, 2004
    Grass Valley, CA
    That's looking really nice!

14. JTGale

JTGale

Oct 26, 2004
    Hummelstown, PA
    Despite the fits the spalt gave you, I would say you have a winner! Very, very nice! :) Are you going to have a matching veneer plate on the headstock?

15. tjclem

Jun 6, 2004
    Central Florida
    The neck is Mahogany Maple and Bubinga. I will try to assemble the bass tonight. I am having a bit of a problem getting some 30" scale flats for it so I haven't even played it yet............t

16. I don't think I need any more help. . .yet. Wiring the pickups may be a different story!

Thanks,
    Ryan

17. tjclem

Jun 6, 2004
    Central Florida
    OK just let me know.....t

18. patrickj

patrickj

Aug 13, 2001
    Baltimore, MD
    What did you end up using to harden/protect the spalt?

I'm just about ready to start finishing this:

[​IMG]

Yeah, wear a mask around spalt (get a real one, not just one of those $.35 paper guards)

19. tjclem

Jun 6, 2004
    Central Florida
    I used minwax wood hardener. And I finished it with polyurathane. Nice bass good luck!...t

20. patrickj

patrickj

Aug 13, 2001
    Baltimore, MD
    Thanks!

Don't mean to hijack the thread, but I'm pretty psyched about finishing it. I started it Feb2003 then let it sit for the last 2 years (new job, moved, etc). Anxious to have it done.

I tried making a thinned epoxy on some scrap but it just didn't work. I'll try that Mixwax stuff.

:bassist: