Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Spalted maple fingerboards What body woods?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by tjclem, Dec 16, 2005.

1. tjclem

tjclem Supporting Member Commercial User

Jun 6, 2004
    Central Florida
    Owner and builder Clementbass
    I have a spalted maple fingerboard and I am going to build a body to put it on. I can't picture using a spalted maple top though. It would make the bass too "busy". What body woods do you think would look good with a spalted board?

2. callmeMrThumbs

callmeMrThumbs Guest

Oct 6, 2005
    Omaha, NE
    Maybe a cocobolo top? Or...aboygna (sp?) Sorry....really terrible with my woods...but hopefully you get the idea. I think a splated fingerboard would look cool with some kind of "lava" themed bass. Just suggesting..... Good luck!

-Josh

3. Luke Sheridan

Luke Sheridan Commercial User

Dec 30, 2004
    Yonkers, NY
    I build guitars and sell them. Strings, too
    Theres a nice BEE Bass on google that has a Black Limba body. Fingerboard is really dark.

4. tjclem

Jun 6, 2004
    Central Florida
    link?

5. FBB Custom

FBB Custom TalkBass Pro Commercial User

Jan 26, 2002
    Maryland
    Owner: FBB Bass Works
    Is this one of Larry's acrylized fingerboards? Otherwise, I don't think I would use spalt for a fingerboard.

If I catch your drift you want to stay away from variegated woods because the fingerboard has interesting visual lines you don't want to compete with. Limba probably won't fit this bill although it is very attractive wood. Even burls might compete with the spalted maple.

I would thnk that something with more consistent coloring and good color contrast, like a figured bubinga, padauk, purpleheart, or redwood, would work. Anything without dark lines would probably work: lacewood, some goncalo, yellowheart, bloodwood.

6. How about a thin wenge top? Then you could add some knobs with spalted tops to accent the neck.

7. JSPguitars

JSPguitars

Jan 12, 2004
    Grass Valley
    I'm curious to see the spalt board.

I agree with the woods FBB mentioned, something consistent.
    I'd look at bloodwood, yellow/red/purple-hearts, padauk, and really think Redwood top might look nice.

8. teej

teej

Aug 19, 2004
    Sheffield, AL 35660
    something dark in color - ebony or wenge? actually, i'd do walnut, with some burl to sorta "match" the spalted figure of the maple.

9. tjclem

Jun 6, 2004
    Central Florida
    No this is not from Larry. I have soaked it in penatrating epoxy and will use Mirrorcoat on it when it is done. The idea of using Walnut or Bubinga as a top sounds pretty good. I have a nice Walnut top I got from Larry and a 1 piece figured Bubinga top as well. Thanks good ideas.

10. FBB Custom

FBB Custom TalkBass Pro Commercial User

Jan 26, 2002
    Maryland
    Owner: FBB Bass Works
    Spalt can be associated with damaged/compromised wood. Obviously I have not seen the wood but I assume that you've inspected the board thoroughly to ensure the wood is sound in spite of the spalting. The CPES can help with hardness but I would not count on it improving stiffness or bending strength. I'd be careful using that for a fingerboard.

But I do think it would look good against bubinga or wenge.

11. ehque

ehque

Jan 8, 2006
    Singapore
    +1 for the walnut. i'd even get it without figuring. competes for the visual attention. um, tell us how the fingerboard turns out! really want to know cos considering larry's acrylicised spalted maple for the fingerboard, and considering various other options. :D

12. tjclem

Jun 6, 2004
    Central Florida
    Going with Larry's would be the better option for you. I am too busy with other customer basses right now to work on the spalt fingerboard idea at the moment so it has been back burnered. I did glue it to a thin piece of Ebony though.....t