Spalted Maple For Fretboard?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ceycey, Nov 10, 2005.

1. ceycey

Dec 22, 2004
    I'm gonna order a custom bass with swamp ash body and spalted maple top. Also I want fretboard to be spalted maple because i believe it will look awesome. There are lot of hard and quilted maple fretboards but i haven't seen any spalted maple fretboard around. Are there any disadvantages of using it on fretboard? Especially on sound?

2. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    I think it's been done before.. Can't remember where I saw it exactly. Maybe I'm mistaken.. :meh:

You'll probably have to get acrylicized wood for it to be stable enough though. Contact Larry at Gallery Hardwoods. He could tell you if it could be done...
  3. duckbutter

Mar 30, 2005
  4. My experience with spalted maple is that it is very soft. I have a spalted maple top on my Drozd. It's beautiful, but it can really ding easily (which I'm attributing to the wood being soft). If that's the case... you probably do not want to use it on a fretboard. Your luthier will know.
  5. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    Even "stabilized" I don't think it is a good choice for a fingerboard wood. It is not a very stiff wood, and will not aid the neck's stability in any way.
  6. ceycey

Dec 22, 2004
    The picture in the the link is awesome. I was just imaging such kind of thing. Acrylicized wood can be the solution.

Thanks guys.
  7. FireBug

Sep 18, 2005
    Why not try petrified? ;)
  8. Dbassmon

Oct 2, 2004
    Rutherford, NJ
    I would stay away from spalted maple for a finger board. Spalted wood is diseased. While making for a beatiful modeling and coloration, that wood is rotted. Use it for a body vineer not a finger board.
  9. LajoieT

LajoieT I won't let your shadow be my shade...

Oct 7, 2003
    Western Massachusetts
    Talk to Larry about his acrylic stabilizing process. I'm pretty sure that it would be just fine for your fretboard provided the original piece is relatively solid.