Spalted Maple Fretboard?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by SunShine, Oct 1, 2005.

1. Would it work? I'd really like to have a fretless with the spalted look but if it's just going to self destruct I won't do it. Any previous experience?
  2. Bassic83

Jul 26, 2004
    Texas, USSA
    I suppose you could get some stabilized spalt from Larry, but I personally wouldn't do it, and I LOVE spalts. It's very soft and punky.
  3. Is there something that can give me a spalt look thats harder?
  4. Bassic83

Jul 26, 2004
    Texas, USSA
    You could try doing a faux finish on a hard maple board, then clear-coating it...should be relatively easy to do. Maple FBs need to be hard-finished anyway, so that would be my choice.
  5. oversoul

oversoul fretless by fate

Feb 16, 2004
    but seriously, couldn't an acrylicized slab (not being in an extreme rotting stage!) do the trick?
  6. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Oh yeah. Brubaker uses acrylized spalted maple fretboards with no issue.

Brad Johnson has a couple, IIRC
  7. Bassic83

Jul 26, 2004
    Texas, USSA
    That's what I was referring to when I said stabilized. If it's not totally rotten, it should work. I just am not too sure where to get it, Gallery perhaps?
  8. So I'd need to buy a neck instead of making one? Or is it possible to just get a fretboard?
  9. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
  10. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    I've been working with Larry @ Gallery Hardwoods to fine one for my soon to be custom Dingwall. He hasn't come up with any negatives about it yet! I know he has several pieces of spalted fingerboard stock at the ready...If you view the stabilized wood thread, on the first page there's a picture of a few. They aren't quite what I'm after, so I'm still in the market!