Spalted Maple from our storm-damaged tree

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by M.R. Ogle, Aug 18, 2017.

1. Rabidhamster

Rabidhamster

Jan 15, 2014
    spalted maple is less resonant, the punkyness definitely affects tone, its like part tone wood part sponge.

I personally hate spalted maple, all I see is moldy wood, but its used quite often, because many people like it. Use as a thin top helps to make up for the lack of tonal quality and structural integrity, and the amount of super glue you generally need to wick into these things to make them stable would add to the weight unnecessarily if it were full-slab. you'll want the water-thin super glue

If you like it, then awesome score! that stuff isn't cheap.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2017
  2. madbass6

madbass6 Inactive

Jan 13, 2009
    I do not give consent to use any of my photos ! please respect that. thank you.
    very good advise !! by the way I cant be the only one curious to know what Bass that is on your avatar pic. ! ?

3. shodan

shodan

Mar 23, 2005
    Central Midwest
    The conventional wisdom on air drying is 1 year for every inch of thickness. You might be able to hasten this in an attic or somewhere that gets more heat in the summer.
    Drying Wood at Home | The Wood Database

4. That's my stubby bass, build thread here: Winter 2017 Build-off - Wing bass

and here's a quick video with a song played on it:

bholder likes this.
  5. One of my retired friends just started a saw mill , drying service last year with his sons. The kilns are not so much an oven but more a big boxed dehumidifier. You can find folks to dry the wood for you, I know Jim dos that for folks with lots of woods being shipped from VA, and points south up here to western NY for professional drying.

He hasnt tapped into the instrument building world yet, although he did sell some wood to a luthier.

6. fhm555

fhm555 So FOS my eyes are brown Supporting Member

Feb 16, 2011
    I'm a fool for figured wood and between the figure and rot, you have some very (visually) appealing chunks there. While i personally prefer burl if i'm using diseased wood, i can see where spalt would have it's admirers.

Great score BTW. I've got quite a bit of figured wood in boards and blocks i use to turn fly reel seat inserts, and figured wood of any kind is not exactly a thrift item.

Lastly, it is not too hard or expensive to build a small kiln if you want to speed your drying process.

RedVee likes this.
  7. M.R. Ogle

M.R. Ogle Supporting Member Commercial User

Nov 5, 2004
    Mount Vernon, Illinois
    Backstage Guitar Lab owner
    Got eight or nine more bookmatch top sets yesterday. I'll be using these for years! photo(1).JPG

bholder, RBS_Johnson, JIO and 8 others like this.
  8. Beej

Beej

Feb 10, 2007
    Vancouver Island
    Awesome.. . They look great!

RBS_Johnson likes this.
  9. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 26, 2021