1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Spalted Maple Top, What Core/Back?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Bass-Adrenaline, Apr 18, 2010.

1. Bass-Adrenaline

Bass-Adrenaline

Jan 23, 2010
    Hey guys im looking for some suggestions on woods that will compliment a spalted maple top without detracting from it. I was going to do maple but realized that would weigh a ton and probably be a lot brighter then id want. Id prefer something thats pretty light in color with a subdued grain. So far the only other option ive come up with is alder. Since i dont have much experience with this im asking for your help. Thanks

2. headlikeahole

headlikeahole Commercial User

Oct 31, 2009
    Manchester, NH
    Owner: Zoov Custom Guitars
    mahogany

3. bassy7

bassy7

Jan 29, 2010
    You could always use maple- but route out some chambers just lighten it up.

or as stated above- mahogany.

But the alder would be a good choice as well.

4. Bass-Adrenaline

Bass-Adrenaline

Jan 23, 2010
    Since two people have suggested it does anyone have any good pics of clear coated mahogony, is possible with or next to spalted maple.

Ive seen a number os spalted maple tops on koa as well.

I guess the main problem im having is the huge variances in the same types of wood.

5. Sardine

Sardine

Feb 2, 2009
    Maine
    I would go with mahogany. Take a look at the Builder's Showcase, I think there are some spalt/mahogany basses over there.

Koa is nice, but would be extremely heavy for a body and probably cosmetic overkill next to spalted maple. Also, koa is really expensive.

6. bassy7

bassy7

Jan 29, 2010
    Thsese pics may already be posted on TB already, so forgive me, but for side by side viewing convenience here they are- heavily spalted maple front- single piece of mahogany on the back.

bass2omarbaysspaltedbass005.
    bass2omarbaysspaltedbass007.

I am a huge fan of poly/oil finishes- as the neck on this one is finished. But the body on this has a Nitro finish, I thought it was a wise choice to help protect the finicky (mix of really hard an really soft spots) spalted. This is not a gloss coat (the crappy pics wouldn't reveal it if it were), I am a satin finish kinda guy - for now. The mahogany pores were filled with epoxy, and the spalted top was generously coated with CA several times during its shaping/sanding stages.

7. bassmanhamilton

bassmanhamilton Commercial User

Nov 21, 2007
    Georgia
    Owner, J. Hamilton Guitars
    Spanish Cedar................I'm just finishing one with that combination and I think that the two work very well together.

100_4428.

100_4429.

100_4318.