Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Spam emails directed at us bassists

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Vox Populi, Jan 15, 2006.

1. Vox Populi

Vox Populi Reggae Loving Honkey

Jan 27, 2004
    Poulsbo, WA
    So I just got this spam in my inbox, and I noticed that all the email addresses in the "CC:" box were people with bass related emails and such. Even a few luthier's emails. Obviously someone combed over the addresses here or something, and pirated our emails to send spam. Here's the message, anyone else get it?

2. AxtoOx

AxtoOx

Nov 12, 2005
    Duncan, Okla.
    I'm careful w/ my e-mail address, but I gave TB everything, I have never gotten any spam like that. I get very little at all. I doubt it came from here.

3. bill h

bill h

Aug 31, 2002
    small town MN
    Yeah, I have got that one.

4. Its a trick that messageboard owners have been using forawile, they get your email addy, or Screename from another board and advertise with it.

5. Never got anything like that, maybe my spam filters caught it... I check them periodically for good mail that got junked though.

Randy

6. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    I doubt it came from here...The address I have listed @ TB has never been spammed. Its possible that someone got some kind of trojan or virus that harvested their email contact list though.

7. Got that exact e-mail! Why is it directed at bassists?

8. Vox Populi

Vox Populi Reggae Loving Honkey

Jan 27, 2004
    Poulsbo, WA
    For one of the mentioned reasons, either someone got a virus that hijacked their contact list or someone combed through a list of emails on a forum or something.

Almost all of the emails though were bass-related handles. So it has somethong to do with that.

9. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

It may be that your email was gathered from another mail-in - a lot of people joined TalkBass when there was a give-away of a bass...for example.

There may have been other offers that were attractive to bass players etc. etc.