1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Spamming your FB friends?

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by Doley50, Mar 24, 2013.

1. Doley50

Doley50

Sep 4, 2005
    Hello,

My band (Top 40's Cover band ) is almost ready to start playing out and we are starting to promote yourself, Twitter, Website, Facebook, etc..
    Our BL ( he will not openly admit to this role, LOL !! ) has asked that we get the email address of our FB friends so he can add them to our mailing list.
    I completely understand the value of this type of promotion, but I can not help but to feel that doing this is kind of like selling my friends email address to a 3rd party vender.
    Am I taking a moral stance to far, I have not responded to his request either way, and I have a feeling that the singer has some of the same concerns, she mentioned the alternative of asking our FD friends to sign up via a post.
    Sometimes I think I may be a little out of touch with this promotional stuff, (I am used to stapling flyers on telephone poles.)I just do not like the idea of e-mailing the people on FB from a band they never heard of, and then only to find I am in the band.
    What are your thoughts?

2. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye Banned

Feb 21, 2010
    St. Louis
    Your friends will likely not appreciate you giving their addresses to your band leader without asking them. Just make a FB post.

3. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Supporting Member

It depends on your age. If you're a student it probably is ok.
    As an adult, I wouldn't imagine spamming my friends with band info. I don't even ask them to come to shows.

4. snowplow

snowplow

Jan 4, 2012
    Michigan
    I feel bad for always inviting friends to events for about five minutes until I get an invite from friends in other bands. I get so many invites from other musicians a week. Everyone is doing it. People have the option to block invites if they want. I always tittle the event with the band, place, date so even if they decline it, they saw the details!

5. the yeti

the yeti

Nov 6, 2007
    raleigh, nc
    nothing wrong with sending an email blast to your contacts. it would be better if you each sent the blast to your contacts announcing the new band, promoting the show. and inviting them to join the band's mailing list. that way they have a frame of reference and it's less likely to wind up in their junk folder.

6. DataDan

DataDan

Mar 18, 2013
    Reading,pa
    And remember when you get older not all your friends live close by anymore. I dont invite friends to come to bar gigs that live 2 hours away. And since I moved from my home town, a lot of contacts are 2 hours away.

7. Doley50

Doley50

Sep 4, 2005
    I agree, this is my preferred method, what he was asking is ( I should have made clear) is looking on our friends profile page and copying their email address then sending it to him, so he can send out a mass mailing.
    He has done it to his FB friends list and boast how he has 500 names already, but he is a social butterfly. I have maybe 50 people I could send this too and half of those friends are his also. I would rather post an event and give my friends the option to join the mailing list themselves.

8. stagebanter

stagebanter

May 12, 2012
    No, you should absolutely not do this. It's actually against the law. Ask your friends first.

9. the yeti

the yeti

Nov 6, 2007
    raleigh, nc
    the problem with that, aside from no context, is that many people's fb email is an account that is never checked. some people set up a dummy account just for message boards and what-not, other people will have the fb assigned address (theyeti@fb.com for example).

that's probably a lot worse idea than using legit addresses in your contact list, or just using fb to promote the gig.