Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Spanish Cedar anyone?!?!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jokerjkny, Feb 19, 2002.

1. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    hey all,

does anyone here have any experiences with Spanish Cedar??? i'm thinking of getting a custom Roscoe 5 string, but dont know if i should just go wtih my tried and true Swamp Ash or try something different with Spanish Cedar.

2. Thumper

Thumper Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2000
    Layton, UT
    My favorite Roscoe (I have 3, 2 LG3005s and an SKB3005) is burl maple over Spanish Cedar. It is my all round do everything bass. My experience is that the body wood doesn't make all that much difference (on Roscoes), but for a little more growl get the 18v. pre-amp. My best sounding Roscoe is burl myrtle over burl myrtle, 18v., but all that myrtle makes it a little heavier. The SKB with Spanish Cedar is a little lighter and even though only 9v., is "the one" because it just feels right and is a little more effects friendly (although all I use is the Fulltone Bassdrive which you really don't need with the 18v.). My other LG3005 is the faux marble one from the 2001 NAAM. I asked Keith several questions about it, and wouldn't you know it, that is the one question he didn't answer. My guess is that it is swamp ash, it is a little lighter that the Spanish Cedar, so I'm only guessing, but my lightes 5er is a quilted maple/swamp ash Lakland, and the weight of this one is close. None of these basses are lacking in the booty department. The Spanish Cedar sounds a little woodier, maybe a little more acoustic, but not quite the growl of the other 2, but then they are both 18v.

3. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    nice!!!

can you post up some pics???? oooooooooooo, i love a good Roscoe bass.

4. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    I'm fairly certain that Spanish Cedar is actually a type of mahogany, and that it gets its name from the fact that it smells like cedar. Of course, I could have dreamed this info, too.

5. Thumper

Thumper Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2000
    Layton, UT
    Just about the time I was going to fess up the $ for Photopoint they went away. I do have jpg I could email you, or anybody who could help me post pictures of these beauties. Funny, I finally convinced "she" 3 Roscoes was one too many, and since I wasn't playing the burl myrtle I should trade it for a Sadowsky, even had a trade in the works, but every time I look at it, I am reminded it is the most beautiful bass I have EVER seen; so I couldn't do it.

I don't think Spanish Cedar is mahogany, much too light.

6. Spanish cedar, or cedrela huberi, is lighter adn softer than mahogany, but works well in many of the same applications. It isn't a mahogany however; mahoganies are in the swietenia family.

7. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    {homer voice on}
    Stupid brain...
    {homer voice off}

8. xush

xush

Jul 4, 2001
    mobile AL
    My FBB is spanish cedar with a maple top. It smells great! No moths in the studio.
    I would liken it to mahogany, as far as tone and appearance...
    I don't know how much the wood itself contributes to the overall voice of this bass, but like Peter McFerrin says, the B's on these things are immense. Unbelieveable!
    That must be why he calls it "FBB". Freakin' big B!
    [​IMG]

9. Nice, Xush...

For my next GAS attack, I'm thinking of having Matt build me a fretless 5 with a set-in Moses neck, Spanish cedar back, bocote top, and Bart X5 narrow soaps a la the Zon Sonus Special. The sweetness of the cedar should balance out the sharpness of the carbon fiber and result in an excellent fretless tone. Now to scrape together money for the next eight months...tuition? What's that? :eek:

10. xush

xush

Jul 4, 2001
    mobile AL
    Funny, I'm talking to him about making me a fretted! Just can't decide on options right now.
    Your recipe sounds good there, nice and Zonnish...
    His fretli are great! I'm loving mine. I'm using nylon tapewounds on it, it's so warm and thick!
    the Slurm bass...mmmmm.
    Matt's work deserves more attention. He's making some awesome basses!