Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Spanish Cedar/Cherry tops

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by oversoul, Nov 17, 2004.

1. oversoul

oversoul fretless by fate

Feb 16, 2004
    Portugal
    show them if you got'em!! :cool:

2. oversoul

Feb 16, 2004
    Portugal
  3. Cliff Bordwell

Cliff Bordwell Commercial User

Jan 6, 2004
    USA , Orlando , Florida
    Owner of CB BASSES
    I'm starting a bass with a Spanish Cedar back and a Canary Wood top next month. :D

4. oversoul

Feb 16, 2004
    Portugal
    strange, I tought SOME examples would come up, you see Bill Conklin mentioned he had some nice figured examples in his stock, I'm waiting for some pics but would like to check out some already made examples.Not that I'm changing my choice I think, I should still go with a figured maple top.

5. JPJ

JPJ

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago, IL
    Cherry is a great tonewood, but one reason why you probably don't see it used for tops on high-end basses a lot is that it seems to be fairly difficult to find a REALLY NICE, highly figured piece of cherry. That's not to imply that cherry is "rare"...that's just not the case. But, it does seem that most of what is listed as "figured cherry" would barely even approach A-level figuring on most other woods (maple, redwood, bubinga, koa, walnut, etc.). For whatever reason, cherry just doesn't seem to show wacked-out figure like a lot of other species do, and if you're going to spend the cash for a custom or high-end bass, most people are going to want an exceptional top.

6. oversoul

Feb 16, 2004
    Portugal
    Yeah, i've spotted some cherry blanks on the web and I agree with you, nice wood but the figuring seems very vague and depends on lighting a lot to be noticed, I'm more curious about spanish cedar, not used too?

7. JPJ

JPJ

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago, IL
    I don't know about using Spanish cedar for a top :D , but it is fairly popular as a body wood. Keith Roscoe uses it a lot, and I really like it. I'd say that about 80%-85% of the Roscoes that I've ordered (or customers have ordered as custom projects) have had Spanish cedar as the body wood. It seems to be great at contributing to the "Roscoe sound", and when you start getting into the extended range bass game, it doesn't hurt that it is fairly lightweight to boot. ;) It isn't commonly used by a LOT of builders (like in the way that mahogany, ash, and alder are common), but I'm starting to see it pop up here and there a bit more.

8. pistoleroace

pistoleroace

Sep 13, 2002
    WI
    I had a Roscoe with Spanish Cedar as a body wood and it had an Afzelia top and I loved the tone very much. I also own and still have a Roscoe with an Ash body and Buckeye Burl top and love the tone of that one too. When I was going to sell one I couldn't decide which one to let go because I loved both of them. I basically flipped a quarter and the Ash/Buckeye won out. I actually think I liked the Spanish Cedar tone better. Like Jay mentioned, the Cedar makes the already great Roscoe tone a little better.

The grain on the Spanish Cedar that Keith uses are straight grain although I have seen figured Cedar on a couple of instruments on the internet somewhere.

Here are some pics to the basses, the Roscoe LG 3005 Afzelia Burl is the one with the Spanish Cedar body.

http://community.webshots.com/user/pistoleroace

9. Cliff Bordwell

Cliff Bordwell Commercial User

Jan 6, 2004
    USA , Orlando , Florida
    Owner of CB BASSES
    Spanish cedar is a great lightweight tonewood.
    Similar to Poplar in my opinion.

10. Halftooth

Halftooth Supporting Member

Nov 24, 2002
    Tri-Valley, NorCal
    Wow, I guess you learn something new everyday...I had no clue that Spanish Cedar was the same as Cherry. It sounds great on Roscoes, that's all that I know. By the way, I have a Roscoe with a pretty nicely figured back/body which is Spanish Cedar, but it's finished with the classic dark burgandy Roscoe finish.

11. I believe this particular roscoe was made out of cedar...

[​IMG]

12. pistoleroace

pistoleroace

Sep 13, 2002
    WI
    You are correct although if I remember correctly, it is not the same Spanish Cedar that Keith uses on a regular basis. I wonder how that one sounds.

13. rusty

rusty

Mar 29, 2004
    Singapore
    Wow. That's pretty... it would have looked better if it was finished in oil/satin though.

Is it me or does it seems to be bleeding something from the middle in between the pups? :p

14. pistoleroace

pistoleroace

Sep 13, 2002
    WI
    Nope, those are bark inclusions, a natural defect in the wood that have been filled in by some kind of clear epoxy.

15. oversoul

Feb 16, 2004
    Portugal
    No, they aren't! I'm sorry if the thread name led to that conclusion, I was asking for examples of both woods. :)

16. emor

emor

May 16, 2004
    kcmo
    I believe that Spanish cedar is more closely related to mahogany. It is a hardwood, not a softwood.

17. budman

budman Commercial User

Oct 7, 2004
    Houston, TX
    Formerly the owner/builder of LeCompte Electric Bass
  18. troll

troll

Aug 31, 2000
    Chicago area
    That burl is freakin beautiful, and the birdseye board... that's a bass after my own heart. I need to find one at a good price. I'll sell all my cirrii for it :) The buckeye burl that is...

Troll

19. Pete Sjold ( www.skjolddesign.com ) made a quilted cherry bass. It looked great. Contact him and ask him about what properties it had.

20. pistoleroace

pistoleroace

Sep 13, 2002
    WI
    Thanks much Troll, there aren't many Buckeye Burl tops on basses I have seen that actually have quite a bit of burl in them. This one has the typical Buckeye with quite a bit of burl and there is some spalting going on there too.

The Burl on the Afzelia was great too, I'll miss that one.