1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Spanish Chords - Scales

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Digo, Mar 23, 2006.

1. Digo

Digo

Mar 14, 2006
    Edinurgh, Scotland
    Hey for my band im wanting to write a spanish themed rock song but i dont know how to get the spanish type chords and scales, does anyone know the scales and chords for a spanish theme?

2. Digo

Digo

Mar 14, 2006
    Edinurgh, Scotland
    sorry should have posted in tabs

3. chaosMK

chaosMK

May 26, 2005
    Albuquerque, NM
    Hi-fi into an old tube amp
    You can find them in books like The Bass Grimoire.

After experimenting with these scales for a while, I concluded they were difficult to work with. Maybe I just need to give them more time.

4. Digo

Digo

Mar 14, 2006
    Edinurgh, Scotland
    you cant get that book here, cant someone type a key signature or sumin

5. Andrew Jones

Andrew Jones Banned

Feb 28, 2001
    Northampton Mass
    Phyrgian.............. 3rd mode of a major scale.

Clech' Cord progresion= I minor ->Flat II major7#11

If this doesn't make sence,Just Play with the C major scale,serch untill it sounds good.

Chords are Emin7 for two bars F maj7 two bars. Repeat.

Aj

6. BassChuck

BassChuck Supporting Member

Nov 15, 2005
    Cincinnati
    Phrygian scale is the most obvious choice. Play a scale but use the key signature from a major third below your starting note.

Traditionally we relate everything to the key of C, so lets do that.

In your phrygian mode, play a scale from E to E, but use the key of C, no sharps or flats. So, your scale would be: E F G A B C D E.

The beauty of this sound is in the chords
    Tonic is minor E G B
    2nd degree is major F A C
    3rd degree is major G B D
    4th degree is minor A C E
    5th dominate is dimished B D F (playing with this is cool making it major or minor out of your phrygian key.
    6th is major C E G
    7th is minor D F A.

Have fun. And to broaden your musical horizons and outlook, check out the 2nd movement of Brahms 4th Symphony... phrygian, but not so very Spanish sounding. Its interesting to hear what can be done with different musical sources.

7. tkozal

tkozal

Feb 16, 2006
    New York City
    Buy the Miles Davis/Gil Evans cd "Sketches of Spain", or listen to the original Concerto de Arunjez....(sp?)

8. adisu

adisu I admit it, I'm a "user"

Apr 8, 2005
    Israel
    Yup the Phrygian scale is very nice and if you use it right you'll get a nice spanish melody.

Also try the Double Harmonic scale which gives a half spanish half arabic feeling. for more info look in HERE

Adi.