Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Spanish speaking rock bands. Recommendations?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Blackbird, May 16, 2003.

1. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    I'm really into rock bands from Spain since I bought a tape called Autobiografia by Duncan Dhu. I'm looking for bands at least as good as them.

BTW, I bought a CD by Hombres G and they stink. I'm curious about the following:

Gabinete Caligari
    Toreros Muertos
    Mecano
    Cabaret Pop

Any other leads would be great.

BTW, if someone has a copy of the Autobiografia CD (the one with 30 tracks) they want to sell, contact me.

2. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Mano Negra (Manu Chao) - "world pop", Mano Negra frontman Manu Chao had a big hit in Europe with "King of Bongo"

Heroes del Silencio - Rock a la The Cult or Sisters of Mercy, had one big hit "Entre dos tierras

3. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    While I'm bumping up old threads, let's try this one again...

4. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    They're Mexican, but check out Cafe Tacuba. There's no genre they can't handle.

5. Nails

Nails

Jun 4, 2000
    Austin, Tejas
    I don't know where all the members are from, but local band Del Castillo has started a good bit of buzz here in Austin. They took home a fair amount of Austin Music Awards. I've only heard one of their songs, and the lyrics were in Spanish. Might be along the lines of what you're looking for.

6. mikemulcahy

mikemulcahy

Jun 13, 2000
    The Abyss
    PM Dave Castelo, he may know.

Mike

7. First off: JMX, I think Manu Chao is Algerian or something like that; but he sure is not Spanish.

Blackbird: What kinda music do you like? I listen to a lot of Spanish bands since, well I've been living in Spain since the year 2000. Duncan Dhu is a good choice, and Mikel Erentxun has released a couple of solo LPs you might want to check out.

Mecano is very popular, buuut it's too poppy. I don't listen much to them.

Gabinete Caligari... well their vocalist is going strong as a solo artist right now.

What do I listen to? Mostly indie stuff:

-Los Planetas (THE Spanish Alternative band)
    -Jet Lag (They sing in English!)
    -PPM (Punk rock... in English... )
    -Los Flechazos (late 80s-early 90s band that recreated the 60s brit-pop and mod vibe)

and many more.

There is tons of info on the Net. Check it out. I can refer you to one website: www.ideal.es/indyrock

8. Oh, there is also the Spanish New Wave of Alaska y los Pegamoides/Alaska y Dinarama featuring the trio of Alaska, Carlos Berlanga (rest in peace), and Nacho Canut. They revolutionized the Spanish music scene in the 80s.

BTW remember "Black Is Black"??? Los Bravos were Spanish too, except for their lead vocalist who is German.

9. Wait a minute...

Bands from Spain... or Spanish-Speaking??? OOOpps!!

Well then, if it's Spanish SPEAKING let's add these:

Soda Stereo (ARG) Rock
    Volovan (MEX) Pop/Rock
    La Secta All-Star (PR) Hard Rock, I guess...
    Vivanativa (PR) Pop
    Enanitos Verdes (ARG) Rock

Again, there are many more...

10. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

Indirectly he is Spanish. Although he was born in Paris, his parents are Spanish.

11. Hey blackbird, are you interested in rock bands from Spain or spanish speaking?'

If the case is rock bands from Spain, I'm lost.. there is nothing that I really like.. I know some punk bands but I don't like them at all. A decent Spanish soft rock pop band which has grown very popular lately is La Oreja de Van Gogh.. sthe singer is a girl and has a very characteristic voice. You might like that stuff. is not bad..

Anyway.. If you're looking for some specific type of spanish speaking rock bands I can recommend you some other stuff.

12. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000
    Mexico
    well, actually im very disconnected from "rock en tu idioma" and most latin-america bands... :meh:

but i do like some bands a lot:

as mentioned:
    -Cafe Tacuva (everything you can get from them, as said, there's no genre they can't play well, they have a MTV Unplugged cd around)
    -Soda Stereo (amazing argentinian power trio, also with a kickass MTV unplugged album)

On the table:
    -Aterciopelados (Colombian, check their older stuff for rock and their newer for trip-hop, ambient type of music, one of my personal favorites, great lyrics)
    -Molotov Hard rock - Hip Hop with agressive lyrics. Two Bassists, great groove and they switch genres a lot also.
    -Jumbo rock-pop, catchy lyrics.
    -Zurdok They go for the radiohead sound in their latest, all around good rock band

I know the topic ask for Spanish bands (which i know nothing about) but check these bands if you can

13. I don't own the albums so I can only recommend songs, but I like these...
    Desorden Público - "Alla Cayo" (rock/ska), "Combate" (rock/ska/rap)
    El Tri - "Todo me sale mal" (bluesy rock with very unique vocals)
    Juanes - "A dios le pido" (pop/rock/Ricky Martin)

I think I discovered these bands by stumbling on a cable demo of Spanish MTV and realizing it was better than American MTV :p

14. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000
    Mexico
    It has it's moments but it's going the way of American MTV... also rap is gaining a lot of airplay (when it was rap-less a year ago!)...

Too much "dismissed","I bet you will" and we are just premiering "Punk'd! !! yay :rolleyes:

I no loger want my MTV Latino (?)

15. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    Ricky Martin, Christina Aguilera, Brintey ....

Wait.

I like La Mosca and a little from Vilma, Palma y Vampiros.

16. 12notes

12notes

Jul 15, 2003
    Check out http://latv.com/

Lots of latin artists. Famous and new.

Music video and many real live performances.

Check your local cable channels.

Shows are divided into four main sections. KPASA, LATVLive, Mex to the Max. request@latv.

BTW. La Ley is very good.

17. Well... let me then recommend something..

there is really nothing I listen too much, labeled as latin rock, but there is a few stuff I like:

Robi Rosa (producer and friend of Riki Martin's, from Puerto Rico)
    Caifanes (this is what I call Latin American rock - mex)
    Victimas del Doctor Cerebro (rock.. nice - mex)
    Resorte (alternative-metal with rap vocals - mex)
    Azul Violeta (smooth funk - mex)

and my favourite spanish speaking band of the moment: Elfonia, a mexican band.. I highly recommend them..
    website

Edit: I really feel a bit ashamed that there are not enough good rock bands for export in Latin America.

18. Zillium

Zillium

May 27, 2003
    Michigan
    Brujeria...

19. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    B'Bird-
    Have you heard of Bloque?
    Right now, I'm drawing a blank whether they sing in Spanish(though I'm assuming they do speak Spanish). ;)
    Anyway, they can be described as Caribbean Acid-Funk-Rock.
    Check 'em out @www.allmusic.com

20. thrash_jazz

thrash_jazz

Jan 11, 2002
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Artist: JAF Basses, Circle K Strings
    Voodoo Glow Skulls.

They're definitely an acquired taste (but a darned good one IMO), and they are actually from California, but some of their songs are in Spanish.