Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Spanky's Cafe

Discussion in 'Ask Mike Watt [Archived]' started by Cantstandsya, Aug 25, 2001.

1. Cantstandsya

Cantstandsya

Jul 27, 2001
    Fontana, CA
    Mr. Watt, I spoke to you at the El Rey before the Mascis show. What an honor, Much Respect! I don't know if you remember but I told you that the last time I saw you was at Spankys and I asked you where your Eden rig was. You replied oh yeah I was playing Eden then. I didn't have time to think before you walked away and then I remembered distinctly. You were playing some huge folded horn cabinets at Spankys. Just curious,what were those?By the way you guys rocked at that show(El Rey).

2. watt

watt TalkBass Pro Supporting Member

hi,

well, if it was a folded horn box then it was a cerwin-vega top loaded 18" cab. I used it at the end of minutemen and the beginning of fIREHOSE. I used that w/a cerwin-vega 2x12+horn p.a. box. the amp was a gallien-krueger 800rb (I think that's the model - 100 watts for the top and 300 watts for the bottom - biamp).

on bass, watt

3. Cantstandsya

Cantstandsya

Jul 27, 2001
    Fontana, CA
    Yeah , that would have been about mid 92 and I remember the GK Head. I know you play Eden now (exceptw/Mascis), just wondered what you thought of SWR. I play a SM400s with an American Jazz and I think it sounds pretty good, but I know a lot of people swear by Eden. Comparisons?

4. watt

watt TalkBass Pro Supporting Member

hi,

the eden wt-800 burned pretty much up so now I use a sunn 1200s. pretty good so far. the fan cooling on the eden just couldn't hand w/all the years of gigs and my heavy-handed wrestlin'. good machine though. love their speakers.

don't really dig the swr amps I had to play through. sometimes you have to use stuff that's already there and I thought there wasn't enough cojones there. just my opinion. of course, you have to work the room and like someone once said, "a poor carpenter blames his tools."

on bass, watt

5. wowe that was a long time ago we opened for firehose (smokestacks)
    mike in the first song his strap broke wham to floor broke the head stock clean off his gibson eb3 mortified i grabbed my bass 70 somthing p bass with smgs jazz set up handed it to him and he played the **** out of her
    that was pretty cool for me mike watt playin my bass but he was a little bumbed i was bumbed for him too but yeah a cool sound with the pa speakers kinda held that mid range mike what quackin bass sound
    true story !!!!

6. broken e b3 did you ever fix her

7. watt not what ( sorrrrryy mike ) i did not spell watt right duh in my post hey thats why i play the bass i aint that smart !