1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Spanky's video made me do it......

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Geddyfleaharris, Mar 3, 2008.

1. A quick review :hyper:

After watching Spanky's MXR 117 vid (and a few exchanged emails) I bought an MXR 117 flanger pedal on the weekend. The model that I got was the EVH (Eddie Van Halen) model because that was what was available and I wanted a flanger dammit!. For some reason they were selling it cheaper than the regular version which made no sense to me but whatever. The EVH model is a 117 with an EVH button so I can sound like EVH "Unchained" :meh: Guess MXR didn't think that a bass player would buy it.

Anyways...the pedal itself is awesome. It is rock solid (as it seems are most MXR pedals). The sounds that it can produce are exceptional especially when combined with a fuzz (LBM). You can get the big swooshes, elastic band etc etc. What I like about the pedal was that for me anyways it was very intuitive. Some pedals I have had (MXR 188, the Blowtorch) it took me awhile to figure out how the controls interacted with each other and with the 188 I never really did. The controls are effective throughout pretty much their whole movement, meaning that each adjustment of the control changes something. The changes don't occur just within say 25% of the control's 0 to 10 range.

With the fuzz off the 117 is a very tranparent effect. You can hear your tone being flanged. It doesn't seem to change your tone.

It is a somewhat pricey pedal but I personally don't mind paying for something that IMO works this great. No I don't have any clips. I am not that technologically advanced. One day ...one day. :)

2. Chronicle

Chronicle

Sep 13, 2006
    NY
    Glad you like it, wait until you turn into a effect addict like me!!

3. Does the Van Halen version have the Helen Keller recovery system?;)