1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

spare strings - do you?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Killed_by_Death, Jul 20, 2019.

1. Always

2. Sometimes

3. Never

4. I use carrots!

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. I always have a spare set of strings for each stringed-instrument.

2. Mvilmany

Mvilmany

Mar 13, 2013
    Upstate NY
    I keep a used set of strings in my gigbag. I’ve broken 1 string on bass at a gig in 25 years. I keep the used set because it would likely match the dead sound of my broken-in strings if I break one.

quickfix, fig, Pbassmanca and 22 others like this.
  3. Nashrakh

Nashrakh

Aug 16, 2008
    Hamburg, Germany
    I keep used strings around.

For example, there's a set of TIs, La Bella flats, a custom set of extra super light Daddario nickels and a six string set of Sunbeams in my drawer.

These aren't old per se, just replaced by something else. And maybe the fancy strikes me for something else sometime soon.

Pbassmanca likes this.
  4. el murdoque

el murdoque

Mar 10, 2013
    Germany
    The last string I broke was in '96, playing Punk, with a pick.
    I bring a spare bass for most gigs. One that has an entire set of strings on.

5. StyleOverShow

StyleOverShow Still Playing After All These Years Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2008
    Portland
    I change strings every 4-6 weeks. Haven’t broken a string in 40 years

6. thabassmon

thabassmon

Sep 26, 2013
    New Zealand
    I use to when I was starting out, I read bass player magazine and took all their advice to heart. Spare leads, strings, backup instrument etc.
    But don't really bother now, I have broken one string on a gig ever and that was more than a decade ago.

Pbassmanca and John6 like this.
  7. Nope, bring a back-up bass though

8. I voted "sometimes".

I don't always keep a spare set for each bass as I only need to change strings every 6-12 months. But I do make sure to order new ones 2-3 months before I actually need them.

Pbassmanca and CEBill like this.
  9. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2001
    Spencerport, New York
    I've got all sorts of spare strings laying around.

For gigs and rehearsal I bring a spare Bass, much easier to swap over if the need arises.

Pbassmanca likes this.
  10. Kro

Kro Supporting Member

May 7, 2003
    New Jersey
    I don't carry a spare bass to gigs, but while I've never broken a string, I wouldn't be caught dead without a spare.

11. mapleglo

mapleglo Gold Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2013
    phoenix, az
    I carry a spare bass to every gig, and each of those basses has an extra set of strings in the case. I may have an extra set of strings for each bass, but never checked. Probably do.

strings.

12. Bodeanly

Bodeanly Supporting Member

Mar 20, 2015
    Chicago
    Extra strings and extra bass to every gig. Never needed either.

13. jthisdell

jthisdell Supporting Member

Jun 12, 2014
    Roanoke, VA
    I haven't broken a string in 45 years of playing

14. micguy

micguy

May 17, 2011
    Haven't broken a string in 40 plus years of playing gigs, but I do have a spare set in every gig bag (different tunings mean different gauges on different basses). I also have the envelope that the strings that are on the bass came in, with a note as to when I put the strings on that bass - that way when a set of strings goes dead enough for me to change them I can figure out how long they lasted.

Novarocker, Spidey2112 and Curtbass like this.
  15. Flog

Flog a Viking in Tejas

Oct 18, 2017
    Denton, Tx.
    I bring an extra bass. More things can go wrong on a gig than just a string breaking.... battery, nut breaking, wiring, strap coming off or breaking (have had all these things happen)

Mvilmany, Pbassmanca and Helix like this.
  16. This is a really good idea. I need to start doing this.

Pbassmanca likes this.
  17. M-rek

M-rek Guest

Apr 5, 2017
    I don‘t, but I should... Broke the high e on my Strat today. But it‘s just a guitar, so who cares ;-)

Spidey2112, Winslow and Oddly like this.
  18. Tommy V

Tommy V Gold Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2019
    for my basses, i have an extra pack for each.. for everything with skinny strings, i have a few packs for each.

19. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado
    spare strings - do you?

I always have extra sets of strings … in my house … when I gig or rehearse I bring a 1 or 2 extra basses and I use one of them in case a string breaks

20. PaulS

PaulS

Jan 19, 2016
    New Jersey
    I always have an extra set with me. Haven’t broken a string in probably 30 years, but I used to snap em all the time as a youngster. And that was before I even started slapping lol. Worst part was being unable to afford another set and playing with only three strings.

kodiakblair and EatS1stBassist like this.