Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

sparking?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by antifrat, Aug 18, 2003.

1. antifrat

antifrat Guest

Jun 27, 2002
    abducted by lemmings
    meh sorry for all the questions but yeah, I've noticed that my basses (one passive, one active) kinda give off sparks, even when the amp is off. (they're still plugged in though).
    I read somewhere that it's normal for active basses (is this true?) but it shouldn't be doing this on a passive bass, should it?
    uhm yeah, i was just wondering if this is normal / should I be worried?

2. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Sparks? :confused:

Please elaborate.

3. Usually sparking is bad.

4. I hope you don't mean visible sparks...please explain!

5. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Where do the sparks come out of. Actually thats kinda cool, ever play with the lights off?

6. antifrat

antifrat Guest

Jun 27, 2002
    abducted by lemmings
    by sparks I don't mean like visible light sparks, but kinda little tiny shocks from the strings?

7. call the poltergeist.........I've honestly never felt that when I've played bass.

I hope its nothing too bad!:(

8. what amp are you using??...whatever it is, it's not grounded properly. Older amps are sometimes like that.

9. steve-o

steve-o Guest

Apr 17, 2002
    that is not good..sounds liek a bad ground..maybe in the amp

that could kill you
    i you touch a bad grounded mike

steve

10. antifrat

antifrat Guest

Jun 27, 2002
    abducted by lemmings
    uhm a squier bp-15 (looking for an amp, actually), but the grounding, how would I check that?

11. i actually have a squier BP-15, but i don't have such symptoms, so i can guarantee you have a bad ground in your amp.

unless you're comfortable opening the thing up, there's nothing you can do about it that doesn't involve taking it to the tech at your local store. that's another way of saying you can buy another one for the amount of bench time you'd be paying for.

time to figure out what your budget is and start cruising ebay and harmony central for a new amp.

robb.

12. pilotjones

pilotjones Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2001
    US-NY-NYC
    Sounds like static electricity, that is discharging when you touch a metal part of the (grounded) bass. You wouldn't happen to be scuffing around on carpet in a dry room, would you?

13. antifrat

antifrat Guest

Jun 27, 2002
    abducted by lemmings
    uhm its hella dry here, but no, no carpet

sorry for my ignorance.. but by grounding, you mean like the thing that goes to earth? (I'm crap with electronics and suchlike)

14. yea man try and find out what that is, its now bugging me too......heh

15. antifrat

antifrat Guest

Jun 27, 2002
    abducted by lemmings
    meh im a girl :p
    and yeah ok I don't trust myself near anything electronic so i guess I'll keepon loooking
    So it's definately not the basses but the amp?

16. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

It could be the amp, or it could be an earthing problem with the circuit into which the amp is plugged.

Try the amp at a friend's house, and see if it has the same problem. If it does, it is the amp. If the problem goes away, you have a ground(earth) problem at your house.

17. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    wat would she do if its the groundiing prob at her house, how to fix it?

18. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Call an electrician. Bad grounding problems are not something to leave alone or forget about. A bad ground can kill you!

19. and if you don't own your house, your landlord must do something about it as quickly as possible. this is not optional like some other repairs might be.

robb.

20. you don't wanna be killed while playing bass.....even though that'd be a cool way to die.