1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

SPB-1 or SPB-3 to pair with SD Apollo Bridge pickup? (PJ)

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by el_Bajo_Verde, Jan 2, 2017.

1. el_Bajo_Verde

el_Bajo_Verde

May 18, 2016
    USA
    Looking to replace the stock pickups in my Squier PJ. The Seymour Duncan Apollo Jazz pickup is a split-coil humbucking pickup, DCR is 9.25 though I don't know what that means.

I liked the Quarter Pounders in one of my old P-basses but I'm worried that it will overpower this bridge pickup. I'll be stringing my bass CGDA so I've been thinking the Vintage P-pickup will balance things a little better. I've read that Vintage has better articulation than the Quarter Pounders, too. But I have no personal experience with it.

I think the Apollo is not a common pickup, but I'd appreciate everyone's thoughts!

2. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    i think the vintage would be perfect here.

acebase62 and Isotonic like this.
  3. Isotonic

Isotonic

Oct 19, 2011
    Round Rock TX
    I concur. I have never owned either model but for me PJ is always been a vintage sound. Mellow, musical, versatile with potential for melodic lines. I've never liked the SPB3. I wouldn't worry about matching them for output. The Beauty of the PJ is in the subtle P and J blends. In my experience, just a little J goes a long way.

4. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Even though I endorse EMG and love the Geezer, credit where it's due...SPB-1 is one of the best pickups on the market. I like it quite a bit better than the QP.

BaticaBG, acebase62 and el_Bajo_Verde like this.
  5. Can anyone compare the SPB-1 to the Antiquity II? I'd imagine the AQ II would also be a good fit.

6. Growlmonkee

Growlmonkee

Jan 30, 2013
    Florida, U.S.
    The SPB-1 is a better choice to pair with the Apollo Jazz, imo, as the SPB-3 will overpower most any Jazz pickup. The DCR, (dc resistance) is a measurement of the resistance across the pickups coil. It's easy to measure, with any resistance meter, so it's an attribute that can be tagged to a pickup, however, it's only one of quite a few factors making up a pickup, and with so many variables like, magnet type, wire type, and gauge, size of magnet, size of coil, and shape, placement on a bass body, etc., etc. in the end, it's not enough of a description to determine how a pickup will sound, and might even be misleading, if you were to expect "louder", "growly", "balanced", "low output", "vintage", because it isn't enough info to determine any of that, but..it is easy to measure, and publish with specs..... eg. a little higher dcr, more resistance = possibly louder, but, not definitely louder.

acebase62 and el_Bajo_Verde like this.
  7. el_Bajo_Verde

el_Bajo_Verde

May 18, 2016
    USA
    Thanks for this information, I'm doing as much research as I can to better understand those variables. I had originally assumed that the SD Hot Stack pickups, with a DCR in the 20's, would be the loudest pickups. But that's not the case as they are relatively quiet.

I'd say what I'm looking for most is balance between the pickups, no single-coil hum, and clear articulation. On some pickups, when I play sixteenth or 32nd notes, it tends to melt together and is a bit muddy. On others, the attack and beginning of each new note is very clear.

8. Growlmonkee

Growlmonkee

Jan 30, 2013
    Florida, U.S.
    The only exception, of course, is if you have 2 pickups, the same everything, and one has a higher dcr, it will have more windings, and be a hotter pickup, usually somewhere in midrange.

9. el_Bajo_Verde

el_Bajo_Verde

May 18, 2016
    USA
    Just out of curiosity, is there ANY Jazz bridge pickup that can hang with a Seymour Duncan Quarter Pounder? Like an "everything turned up to 11" jazz pickup? I've noticed that J pickups tend to be more tame compared to the P when in a PJ set.

Zoobiedood likes this.
  10. Zoobiedood

Zoobiedood Commercial User

Sep 1, 2015
    Writer/Ambassador/Artist/Resident Bass Expert for Seymour Duncan
    Maybe 2 Quarter Pounds...in series!

11. el_Bajo_Verde

el_Bajo_Verde

May 18, 2016
    USA
    I considered the QP Jazz but there will be plenty of noise too, since the neck pickup will be a P-pickup. I need a split-coil or humbucking J for the bridge.

12. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    DiMarzio Model J.

13. Zoobiedood

Sep 1, 2015
    The Hot Stack Jazz can do it. It has a more balanced EQ than the Quarter Pound, but it is easily just as loud.

14. el_Bajo_Verde

el_Bajo_Verde

May 18, 2016
    USA
    Well, I decided to go with Dimarzio dp126 PJ set in creme. :thumbsup:

Now to wait!

MarkoYYZ likes this.
  15. MarkoYYZ

MarkoYYZ Commercial User

Jan 31, 2012
    Toronto
    Hammersmith Music
    Love those pickups, good call.

As for thr original question, for anyone who finds this later and wants the answer... I suggest the SBP2. The QPnis way too hot and scooped for a good pairing, and while the SBP1 has that more known vintage tone, the 2 is probably more consistent in tone and output to the Appollo, since it's basically a slightly hotter version of the 1.

el_Bajo_Verde likes this.
  16. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    nope.

a dimarzio ultra Jazz is pretty loud (louder than their model J) but a hot P pickup will still win overwhelmingly.

it's not even really about "balance", that's just not a thing with P/J setups; the J is only there to "flavor" the P pickup, adding treble and scooping mids when you mix it in.

17. Zoobiedood

Sep 1, 2015
    ^this. It isn't so much about balance (to me). It is a tonal change. The P pickup does the bulk of the work.