1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

SPB-1, SPB-2 differences

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by mav, Sep 27, 2010.

1. mav

mav

Jun 10, 2003
    I've just ordered myself a set of SPB-2 as an upgrade from the SPB-1 I'm wanting a little more output so figured this would be a logical move up, I didn't want to go for the Dimarzio DP122's because they lacked a little bottom end but figure there simular sounding. Now reading some threads ppl have been saying that the SPB-2 is too boomy, I'm thinking boomy is an EQ problem. Are they really that boomy?

2. 62bass

62bass

Apr 3, 2005
    Not to me.

I like all 3 but prefer the QP.

3. Nedmundo

Nedmundo Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2005
    Philadelphia
    For my tastes, the SPB-2 was a little too boomy, but it was perhaps more about balance, i.e., the combination of reduced treble with super-phat low mids. Some of this definitely could have been addressed with EQ, but I was happier with the Lindy Fralin that came next. I still think the SPB-2 is an excellent pickup overall, because it provides a really thick version of vintage tone. It just wasn't my thing for my band at that time, in which a Jazz worked better anyway.

4. acebase62

acebase62

Jun 29, 2010
    I had a SPB-2 in a Warmoth PJ bass for several years (with a STK-J2 in bridge).

I later changed to a SPB-1. I feel it balances better with the STK-J2, and gives a more vintage tone with more "nuance". I also have 500k volume pots and TBX tone.

The SPB-2 sounds great, but it is a bit thick sounding for the material I usually play (contemporary jazz, old school r&b, gospel, pop). I can still get more deep punch from my amp EQ if I need it.

The SPB-2 would be great for rock or anything else with deep steady driving bass work, etc. (IMO). Check it out and let us know what you think. Best wishes!

5. JGR

JGR The "G" is for Gustav Commercial User

Jun 29, 2006
    Maryland
    President, CEO, CFO, CIO, Chief Engineer, Technician, Janitor - Reiner Amplification
    I have the SPB-2 in 6 different P-J basses, and I don't find them boomy at all. They have a nice midrange hump. The quarter pounders are the boomy ones IME. If you are looking to kick up the SPB-1 a notch, I think it is the way to go. Same applies to the jazz pickups.

6. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 5, 2021