1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

SPB-2 vs. SPB-4 vs. G&L LB-100 pickup

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by JN8642, Apr 15, 2018.

1. SPB-2

20.0%
  2. SPB-4

53.3%
  3. LB-100 Pickup

26.7%
  1. JN8642

JN8642

Aug 19, 2015
    Hey all!

So after nearly a year with my G&L MFD's, I think it's for a change. The output is just wayyy too high for my tastes. I've been looking into the three listed above (They're also the only one's in my price range that I'm digging) as of late.

I play rock-style music with a pick (mostly) and rounds and use a lot of effects so I can't do anything that's too mild of an output like the SPB-1's, I know those are well liked but they just wouldn't fit for either of my projects. I need to stick with a thick sounding pickup, just a lower output.

I know the SPB-2 is pretty hot but not nearly as much as the MFD's, the SPB-4's seem to sound good, and the LB-100 pickups sound a lot thicker than a standard MIA Fender pickup.
    Would love to hear your thoughts/experience on these three and which one you would choose. All opinions are welcome and appreciated!

Also, if I go the SPB-4 route, can I put new covers on them (I still have covers from my old MIM P pickups laying around)? I'm not really into signature's on pickup covers hehe.

2. jallenbass

jallenbass Supporting Member Commercial User

May 17, 2005
    Bend, Oregon
    I can only comment on the SPB's since I've never heard or played an LB-100. Both of those Duncan pickups sound really good to me. The 2 is a thick sounding pickup and has a lot of mids that I like for live playing. Sometimes too much if you really dig in. It is a hot pickup but you can always back it away for the strings to tame that a bit. The 4 is similar to the 1 but with some extra high mids and a little more output as I recall. I don't play with effects so no comment there.

JN8642 likes this.
  3. JN8642

JN8642

Aug 19, 2015
    I gotcha! Was there a big difference in the pickups' thickness if you recall?

4. jallenbass

jallenbass Supporting Member Commercial User

May 17, 2005
    Bend, Oregon
    Yes. The 2 is very fat. The 4 is more open.

JN8642 likes this.
  5. Zoobiedood

Zoobiedood Commercial User

Sep 1, 2015
    Writer/Ambassador/Artist/Resident Bass Expert for Seymour Duncan
    If you use a pick, I'd use SPB-4s (and you might even try 500k pots). As far as the logos, the logo comes off with Brasso. But before you try that, see if your old ones fit. This pickup can also be ordered with a plain cover, or just order a separate plain cover with it.

JN8642 likes this.
  6. JN8642

JN8642

Aug 19, 2015
    I actually have 500k pots in it currently, would the 2's be a little overkill with those pots?

7. Slater

Slater Leave that thing alone.

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    I think the SPB-2 sounds better with 500k pots. It brightens things up a bit.

Zoobiedood and JN8642 like this.
  8. sprag

sprag

Sep 15, 2011
    Melb Australia
    Im no help with a decision here. But i can facilitate the purchase by offering to take the mfd off your hands. :D:hyper:

9. mpdd

mpdd neoconceptualist

Mar 24, 2010
    LA
    the 90s LB100 supposedly had a kent armstrong or gotoh in the vein of a 62 p bass and the new ones are supposed to be wound to sound like the 90s ones
    my LB100 is not aggro and it sits great in the mix for 70s rock and roll with dunlop rounds or more classic 60s stuff with my ti flats, it's less intense and focused than the sb series pickups for sure with a nice warmth, quite clear and not muddy at all

10. JN8642

JN8642

Aug 19, 2015
    I'll definitely message you when I decide on something if you'd like!

11. sprag

sprag

Sep 15, 2011
    Melb Australia
    Cheers, I would like.

JN8642 likes this.
  12. JN8642

JN8642

Aug 19, 2015
    Are the new ones supposed to sound like the 90's ones more or less? While searching through old threads I remember seeing people saying it (LB100) was a little too hot for them, in your opinion would they essentially be considered hot compared to vintage pickups?

13. mpdd

mpdd neoconceptualist

Mar 24, 2010
    LA
    according to the g&l website they're supposed to sound the same as the 90s ones
    i lowered the pickups to exactly two nickel widths below the strings and it's perfect, they aren't even as hot as the neo punch hanson pickups in the lakland skylines

One Way and JN8642 like this.
  14. JN8642

JN8642

Aug 19, 2015
    I gotcha thank you!

mpdd likes this.
  15. mpdd

mpdd neoconceptualist

Mar 24, 2010
    LA
    glad i could help you out

JN8642 likes this.
  16. JN8642

JN8642

Aug 19, 2015
    For reference, I had the SPB-3's in the past and cannot even begin to describe how much I despised them.

Slater likes this.
  17. JN8642

JN8642

Aug 19, 2015

Played with a pick; tone & volume at 100%

5:25 - 5:44 SPB-2
    11:43 - 11:53 SPB-4

The 4's sound a lot crisper and even while the 2's sound fuller and more low and mid heavy. Dang like em both

18. Resonance129

Resonance129

Feb 15, 2011
    Purgatory
    I can't comment on the SPB 1 or the MFD, but I have the SPB4's on my P and LOVE em for rock. I basically wanted what you're describing and I haven't been disappointed. With rounds and a pick, they really do push. The mids boost really makes your sound push, and with a little extra bass in your EQ signal, the things sound wonderful, IMO. Maybe too much push for some, but as someone else mentioned before, you can always lower your pickups a bit, or play around with your EQ to get the desired effect.

JN8642 likes this.
  19. Zoobiedood

Zoobiedood Commercial User

Sep 1, 2015
    Writer/Ambassador/Artist/Resident Bass Expert for Seymour Duncan
    I've played some basses with SPB-2s that sound great with 500k pots. Some sound better with 250k. Have a few of each handy. They are cheap.

JN8642 likes this.
  20. JN8642

JN8642

Aug 19, 2015
    Thank you for posting! Did they ever come across as too bright to you if you were playing with any type of OD or just in general?

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Feb 28, 2021