Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

SPB-3 quarter-pound™ for p-bass® What's your opinion on them?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by de la mocha, Jan 13, 2006.

1. de la mocha

de la mocha

Aug 20, 2005
    NEW JERSEY
    I need some feedback from you experts before I have them installed on my low in P Bass.

Here's the specs:

application Our most popular Basslines pickup. High output, versatile, pickup. Recommended for blues, classic rock, punk, heavy rock, classic metal and nu-metal.
    description The quarter-inch diameter pole pieces expand the magnetic field and
    extend the frequency ranges for fat, full, punchy sound with tremendous mid-range presence and maximum output. Though often
    used for heavy rock tones, this pickup gives amazing tonal versatility to a single pickup instrument making this the most popular Basslines pickup. Includes logo covers.

2. fretlessrock

fretlessrock Supporting Member

Aug 8, 2002
    Corrupticut
    I've been through a few of these, as well as the SPB1 and SPB2. The QP is the most "rock" sounding of the three, as far as that midrange grind. The last one I used was in a Warmoth P with ash body and maple neck, and it sounded great. It still has good low end, but I wouldn't use one if I was looking for a dub or motown sound.

What kind of bass is it going into, and what kind of sound are you looking for after the swap?

3. de la mocha

de la mocha

Aug 20, 2005
    NEW JERSEY
    I'm looking for that "sublime" tone actually. I play dub, ska, reggea and classic rock. It's a cheap $45 Douglas P Bass, but it's built like a MIM Fender and is solid and sturdy.

4. fretlessrock

fretlessrock Supporting Member

Aug 8, 2002
    Corrupticut
    Since I roll of the treble so much when playing the dubbier stuff I think it could happen with about any decent pickup. I don't know jack about Sublime, so I'm no help there. But I do know my dub. I played in a dubby trancey thing for a while and I used the FX25b with the sensitivity all the way off and it was instant Laswell bliss!

I think the SD line "tremendous mid-range presence" sums up how I think the QP sounds. I would be looking for a SPB1 classic, or something like a Fender CS, Fralin, or a Bartolini.

5. 62bass

62bass

Apr 3, 2005
    I have one in my 70s Fender P. I love it. I don't find it too midrangey. I can get any sound I need with slight EQ changes at the amp. It records very well too.

6. I have some samples here

7. jwymore

jwymore

Jul 26, 2001
    Portland, OR
    I think the SPB-3 probably fits what you want to do best. The hot has a big bottom and lower mid-range and the Vintage is very nice but not as agressive or punchy as the QP.

BTW Bruce, you are getting a really nice warm tone out of yours. Anything I have used the QP in seems to have much more top end and bite. Maybe it's the recording? Very nice though!!

8. The SPB-3 is a 2000 MIM-P with pre-cutover electronics (plastic knobs) and Rotosound rounds. The pickup is heavily angled with the farthest distance-to-string at the E and G strings. I've not measured the output to see if that is a gee-whiz installation, or done to equalize output on the strings.

Action is high, so the SPB-3 is a long way away from the strings, for sure.

Recording was done with a Countryman Type 85 DI, into an Aardvark Q10 interface at standard CD bit resolution. Software was Sonar 4 Producer edition, and the basses were all gain-adjusted for maximum without hitting the ceiling.

I do hear more harmonics in the SPB-3 than I do in the others I recorded during the same session. I was expecting a snarling, raging beast, but that was not the case.

FFT analysis of an open low E shows a strong fundamental (41 Hz) and strong 1st harmonic (82 Hz) across the board. I'm sure there are differences in the various charts, but they don't leap out at me.

All of which might make a difference on recordings, but will never be heard in a live mix. I hear the difference between P, J, and L1500 live, but not the rest of it. YMMV.

highboltage55 likes this.